Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! What fun I had today at the local drag strip. There was a car show at Orlando Speed World so a friend of mine and I decided we would show our cars and maybe run in the test and tune session. Neither of us have raced before so we figured what the heck. My friend Tim has a really nice 57 Chevy 150 with a 6.0 LS. We play around on the street a little but we have never lined up for a full run. Well today was the day. Check out the video and time slip. It was a close race but I reeled him in at the finish line. We had a great time and didn't embarrass ourselves or hurt our cars. Go Nova! I'm car #75 left lane.

time slip by Bucc Flyer, on Flickr
Video link below:
https://www.facebook.com/kim.terrellblack/videos/10155554970126249/

·
Super Moderator
3,831 Posts
Glad you took the opportunity to go and try. I've never done anything but the stoplight nationals, and that was years ago, so you've done what I've always talked about, and it sounds like fun. Personally, I think the most interesting drag racing is out of guys' garages today anyway, and definitely the most relevant.

If practice makes perfect, I guess you'll just have to go out and do it again, but faster, right?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always wanted to try it but kept talking myself out of it for one reason or another. I did the power tour in 16 and again this year and was tempted to run at one of the tracks on tour but the risk of something going wrong so far from home was too much for me so I didn't do it.

I'm building a 62 chevy II 100 tudor sedan right now and I'm leaning toward making it a street/strip toy. I don't own a truck or a trailer so I will need to drive the car 30 miles to and from the track. Nothing too serious but I think running in the 12's shouldn't cost too much if I keep the car light. Any good "recipes" out there to build a chevy ii to run mid 12's?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Based on your numbers, there is still some left in the 60' time. Get the car to leave better in the 1.8 range and you'll probably see the car dip to around 13.50. And I give you credit for getting out there and doing it. Many people don't go out and race their cars because it kills the bench racing ability at car shows. Every car show car is a 10 second car until it goes down the track. And then its proven not to be and the wow factor is gone.

As far as mid 12's its easily doable. A 425 hp 383 and you'll easily get into the 12's

1 - 4 of 4 Posts