Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this room, but have formally owned a few different Novas. However, have been unable to locate another. So I bought a 1978 Buick skylark. Its a Nova clone, with some character. I was wondering, which body panels from the 4th gen Novas are interchangable? I thank you in advance for the help.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi RG and welcome to the site.

In general, the fenders (without the plastic front extensions), doors, quarters and trunk lid (I think) are interchangeable. Keep in mind the added trim to the Buick. If you really like the trim and can only find Nova parts, then you have to cut holes.

My experience is that the Buick and Oldsmobucket bodies did not rust quite as fast as the Novas but don't know why. So while you're looking around, don't forget to ask for Buick parts too. You might get lucky.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Why is that, Jay? Gotta be a reason ehhh. Maybe more of them were treated with undercoating or somethin like that? :confused:

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'd say they all rust out equally, my 75 ventura Custom was the rustiest car I ever owned, and thats saying a lot for NY rustbelt.

More likely the non-Nova ( olds / buick as noted, even moreso than Ponchos ), were better-kept, "high-end" cars bought by people who garaged them and basically babied them more.

As for my own recently purchased 'traitor' car, lol - how about a 78 Pontiac Phoenix hatchabck, 305 auto, with 29K original miles :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4646059605&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

unfortunately the hatch leaked for 25 years and the trunk / spare tire well is rotted out.
anyone got a hatch lid for sale ?

rest of the floor is nice, with minimal surface rust in a couple spots ( POR 15 and it will last forever).
typical interior ( non-garaged ) heat baked plastic trim, which will need a lil work, otherwise nice and clean - and only 3224 built in 78 ( hatchbacks, not sure how many were V8s ).

~ AL

and, to tie in to the question, most Nova parts should fit a Skylark, except lights ,grille, trim,etc - quarters might need trimming aroung the tailights if you need those - specifically what dies your Skylark need ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts