Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to say hello to everybody, My name is Jason and im now starting my new project.

I just bought a 72 Nova 2dr, It has a 350 with a 400 tranny and front disc brakes a decent body with a few dings and needs a new interior.

However the driver's side floor pan is rusted through and i plan on buying new boards but my question is how much would it cost to pay a welder to weld a new board?

Also would you guys reccomend buying new front fenders or just having body work done to the old stock ones. I like the idea of buy fresh new ones but dont know if i should just wait until i have the car painted and have body work done?

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Welcome to the site Jason, and congratulations on your new 72.

I had to put in a couple of floor patches in my 63, as well replace both floor braces. Other than trying to stick weld in high school, which I gave up shortly after attempting, this was my first attempt. I bought a Lincoln 120V MIG, along with a gas bottle, and after a very short time some nice looking welds were being laid out. I replaced only sections of my floor, cutting them from new front floor boards that I bought. It isn't the prettiest, but looks alright. I probably saved more than the price I paid for the welder and gas setup, and of course have also used the welder for many other things around the house. It was pretty time consuming, but well worth the effort. I also got the satisfaction in knowing that I did the work myself.

Just something for you to consider.

As for your fenders, it would all depend on their condition, and what your budget is. Replacing rusted sections or banging out dents probably won't cost as much as buying new ones.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
When dealing with buying new parts its better to get as much as you can at 1 time. Shipping can really kill your budget.

ie. Shipping on 1 fender would be $125 (residential) $95 (commercial) but then you can get 2 fenders and your floor pan and the shipping would still only be $125/$95

Capish?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys, Ive always wanted to build a muscle car and i cant wait to see some progress.:)

I wanted this so bad i sold my 04 G35 coupe and resorted to a civic hatch just to fund my project and free up some additional funds.

As far as body parts i was thinking about just buying all my body parts in one session just to avoid muiltiple shipping cost like you suggested Nightshade.

So along with my new floor pans im gonna go ahead and just buy new fenders since im going to need a new hood and have a new front end. (fan blade broke off and pierced through the hood and just kept going!)

I'll try to post some pics in do time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts