Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to put my Original CL Steel Wheels back on the 72. With that said I need some new radial tires. Right now I am leaning toward, the BFG Radial T/A tires. What would you guys recommend as good tire sizes? I want bigger in the back and smaller in the front (obviously). Please share any opinions, comments, and pictures that could help me.

Thanks,
-Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply... The CL Steel wheels are 14x7, and I have no modifications to the wheel wells.

·
Registered
41 Posts
68chevyII, did you have to modify anything to fit those under the rear or raise the rear at all? I am starting to shop for wheels/tires for my '68 and that set-up looks really nice.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

Here's the normal 255/60/15 BFG Radial T/As in the back and 205/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's in the front. The back wheels are 15X8 with 4.5 backspacing and the fronts are 15X7 with 3.5 inch backspacing.

Jason

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
A 295/60 14 Mickey Thompson Indy Profile is the same dimensions as a 275/60 15 with a little more sidewall and will probably fit your wheel wells nicely. They are corded, but M/T said they're fine to run with radials up front. I've never had a problem doing just that.

Kev

·
Registered
44 Posts
On my '72 I am running BFG Radial T/A 215/60 in Front and 245/60 in back on 15 inch rims. Very good tires.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
None so far, but she's not a runner yet. But "I knew a guy"( how many times ya heard that?) that was running hat same wheel/tire combo, I think he also ran a 10.5 or 11" slick wity stock wheel wells.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jason628 said:
Greetings,

Here's the normal 255/60/15 BFG Radial T/As in the back and 205/60/15 BFG Radial T/A's in the front. The back wheels are 15X8 with 4.5 backspacing and the fronts are 15X7 with 3.5 inch backspacing.

Jason

Do you think 235/60's or 225/60's would fit up front on the 15x7 rims w/o any rubbing?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do you think 235/60's or 225/60's would fit up front on the 15x7 rims w/o any rubbing?
I have 15x7s with 235/60 on the front of my car...they only rub in sharp corners... I thought about switching to 225/60s

·
Registered
72 Posts
72Nova350 said:
I have 15x7s with 235/60 on the front of my car...they only rub in sharp corners... I thought about switching to 225/60s
Thanks. I have 15x3.5 draglites up front with 165's right now, which I don't like. I'm thinking about switching to 15x6's (3.5" B.S.) with 225/60's, just want to make sure I'm not going to have any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
DrDenny's 69 Rat said:
None so far, but she's not a runner yet. But "I knew a guy"( how many times ya heard that?) that was running hat same wheel/tire combo, I think he also ran a 10.5 or 11" slick wity stock wheel wells.
Could you take a pic of the underside. Would like to see the clearance you have at the frame, shocks, etc. Trying to compare to my 4.5'bs. Thanks in advance. Later.

Mark!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Jason70SS said:
Thanks. I have 15x3.5 draglites up front with 165's right now, which I don't like. I'm thinking about switching to 15x6's (3.5" B.S.) with 225/60's, just want to make sure I'm not going to have any rubbing issues.
Why don't you like the skinnies? Other than it don't corner to well.

68chevyll said:
Could you take a pic of the underside. Would like to see the clearance you have at the frame, shocks, etc. Trying to compare to my 4.5'bs. Thanks in advance. Later.

Mark!
I will snap a couple first chance I get in the next few days.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Jason70SS, why don't you like the 3.5 inch welds? ive been told that a tire should be within 1-2 inches wider than the rim and 25mm=1 inch so 3.5 inch wide wheels technically shouldnt have something around a 135 or 145 (if they even make those sizes). i've seen most guys running bigger tires than that on 3.5 inch rims with no issues though. im just wondering if you have problems with them or just dont like the look because im looking to run 4 inch wide draglites with 165 75R15s on them (which is still technically to big). just wondering what your thoughts are on the 3.5s.

thanks
Ian

·
Registered
72 Posts
chevy72nova said:
Jason70SS, why don't you like the 3.5 inch welds? ive been told that a tire should be within 1-2 inches wider than the rim and 25mm=1 inch so 3.5 inch wide wheels technically shouldnt have something around a 135 or 145 (if they even make those sizes). i've seen most guys running bigger tires than that on 3.5 inch rims with no issues though. im just wondering if you have problems with them or just dont like the look because im looking to run 4 inch wide draglites with 165 75R15s on them (which is still technically to big). just wondering what your thoughts are on the 3.5s.

thanks
Ian
I really just don't like the look, which is 100% personal preference. If you like how it looks then go for it!

As far as the tire only being 1-2" wider than wheel, I do not think it is quite that strict. I have more of an offroading background but have had a couple of vehicles with 8" wide wheels and 12.5" wide tires with no problems (this is actually the recommended combination, so you can air down the tires w/o losing the bead). I surely wouldn't put a 12.5" wide tire on a 3.5" wide wheel though! Tire manufacturers will normally give the recommended wheel widths.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts