Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank just sprung a leak... I was thinking about just getting a fuel cell for the trunk, I can get a larger tank (i get about 8mpg) and was thinking it would be safer IF I am involved in an accident.

Looks like the cost would be about the same to replace the tank with a repop, except the perches probably should get replaced if I am going thru the problems of dropping the tank...

Any pros or cons switching the the fuel cell that would make me want to stick to a stock tank?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I did same thing tank had a leak bought a cell. After awhile I missed my trunk space and went back to the tank. Nice to have the room

·
Registered
645 Posts
With getting a few mile to the gallon I would suspect that a fuel cell would be more of a hassle. Not to mention losing the storage/cargo area

·
Registered
44 Posts
cell VS tank

I have a cell in my 67, and it can be a pain with no trunk space, Well, hold on a minute, I do have lots of trunk space, right now its holding 2 batteries, a 15 Gallon fuel cell, and a Nitrous oxide bottle. Pull the tank and get it fixed

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Late reply from me... got side tracked with work. After hearing the trunk space thing from here and from a few people at work... everybody seems passionate about the lack of space with a cell.

As far as fixing the tank, it has a few dings from the years. Not really sure it is worth fixing? The leak is pretty bad, its on the side. As long as I keep less than half a tank it will work :(

·
Registered
268 Posts
I know you made your decision on not going with a fuel cell but I want to add to the stick with the fuel tank idea, I have a fuel cell and now I plan on restoring my old tank, if the tank is emptied and cleaned I would imagine you could have it welded, then maybe buy one of those por15 tank restoration kits, they coat the inside and outside of a tank.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Just buy a new tank and be done with it. I put one in my last 71, but I bought a sump and had it tig welded on and then I ran a 1/2" fuel line(aluminum hard line) to the front. This 72 the tank looks to be in good shape so I am keeping it as is since it is a factory 350 car with original 3/8" hard line. The last 71 was a factory 307 car with a 5/16" hard line so I changed all of it out.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
Just buy a new tank and be done with it. I put one in my last 71, but I bought a sump and had it tig welded on and then I ran a 1/2" fuel line(aluminum hard line) to the front. This 72 the tank looks to be in good shape so I am keeping it as is since it is a factory 350 car with original 3/8" hard line. The last 71 was a factory 307 car with a 5/16" hard line so I changed all of it out.
I'D JUS' GET A NEW TANK AND CALL IT A DAY! IMO FUEL CELLS ARE BETTER FOR SHORT DISTANCES AND RACING! THEY DON'T HOLD A LOT OF GAS AND IF YOU DECIDE TO RIDE FOR A EXTENDED TRIP, YOU'LL BE STOPPING PRETTY OFTEN FOR FUEL!
JMO

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for talking me out of the cell, I had already sold myself on the idea...

Dropped the tank last night... wow surprised it held gas at all...
The mounting points on the trunk all need replaced too. Trunk pan seems to be in good shape though.

Will be ordering the new tank and hardware to mount it properly tonight.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ok, Ill add to the discussion after the fact (glad you are getting the tank you need by the way).

First off I dont know how large the stock tanks are but my fuel cell holds 20 gallons so there is NO issues with limited fuel.

Now my opinions on fuel cells.

They can be a pain in the azz. Some you will have to lift the deck lid to fill up every time, they eat up some trunk space, they use special fuel senders (for foam filled cells) that are not as precise as the continuously variable senders in most stock tanks, they make an otherwise stock or good looking car look like a umm, well a umm, lemme think? An after thought, they look like an after thought. I dont know, they just dont fit the look of a nice street car. They belong in race cars, not street cars. Just out of place on a nice street car. And I could prolly go on, like they are aluminum and you should build a steel shield around the underside of them to protect them from road debris. One errant bolt or other metal item bouncing on the highway will sure as chit hit the tank if its exposed (thats my luck anyway) and it will pop a hole in it.

If you have the space a steel tank in the proper location is the way to go.

My 20 gal cell sits low enough that it doesnt eat too much trunk space, other stuff does though. Its encased with 16ga steel all around on the underside and I fill it up from the outside just like a regular car. But you know what? I ONLY did all the work cause a stock tank wont fit in my car (some idiot put some suspension crap under the car and used up all the space, if I could find that dude :D If I could have put a stock tank in I would have, in a second. Good for you to go that route!! JR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts