Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,759 Posts
Looks very cool ....... and ....... pretty smart.

but , I thought my "Speed Box" was a little 'pricey' ....... :eek:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Met these guys at the Roadster show in Pomona this last weekend. Very knowledgeable bunch and have many set ups available for LS or SBC to run this trans. Im looking at a 5 speed for my 64

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
That's an expensive way to get a shifter in the S10 location.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I don't know of a cheaper way to get a BRAND NEW 5 speed in this shifter location. :no: Rebuilt maybe.

OK .......

My T 5 was bought 'used from Craigslist' -- $ 150.00
And, inside was/is Very Clean & great shape ...... but, I did do a complete rebuild (by me) , using a w/c rebuild kit from "5speeds.com" , and replaced complete 5th gear & 5th slider .. & replaced reverse idler gear. New W/C rebuild kit = $ 670 including those "brand new gears".

SO, I would think I have a VERY Close to New T 5 transmission, now, and total cost (pedals, f/wheel, complete clutch kit, complete clutch linkage - plus another clutch disc for the T 5 disc ..................... $ 2365.00
(that's including my new 'SpeedBox' unit, also.
and, I'm happy with that ......... just my 2cents.

ps = plus you need to throw-in an "adapter plate" - for the Ford type T 5 ............ more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I relocated the welded nuts in a scatter shield with a Ford fox body tailshaft. It is within 1" of my stock shifter location for a 3rd gen with console.

It would probably be cheaper to have a fox body tailshaft machined 5° and redrill end to accept a GM mount IMO.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
The desirable thing about the Mustang shifter setup is that there’s aftermarket options readily available. The F body versions don’t have that kind of support..

Just curious, is anyone running a stock F body T5 setup in a 1st or 2nd gen.. I haven’t gotten to test fit mine yet and don’t know exactly where the shifter will be situated. I did size up an S10 T5 trans and felt that the shifter looked like it would be under the dash..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I don't know of a cheaper way to get a BRAND NEW 5 speed in this shifter location. :no: Rebuilt maybe.
That's only the tail housing, not the whole transmission.:eek:
As noted by the Professor, the tailhousing kit only is $650.

The entire "super duty" (whatever that means) transmission is $2500+. At that price, one would be better off buying a TKO500 or TKO600.

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The entire "super duty" (whatever that means) transmission is $2500+. At that price, one would be better off buying a TKO500 or TKO600.
There's also the "cost" of cutting into the tunnel.....

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
For what's its worth --- but in a 3rd gen = '93 S-15 T 5

"shifter Hole with a stock Bench Seat" using the 'S-15 Stock T 5 shifter

#1 shifter works very well -- clears th' bench seat & clears th' dash .... using the stock T 5 shifter ( in a 69 Nova).
LOCATION is Perfect !

#2 shifter Hole location in a 3rd gen floor .. for '93 S-15 T 5
..... only mod to your Floor .

ps. Joe , did my pictures work any better ( I went through and
'un-locked some of them for "public viewing" ).

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts

My built T-5 is behind my 450hp BB and shifts at 7500rpm, it 75 lbs lighter then a TKO, no tunnel mods and only cost me $2500 Canadian, so the T-5 is a much better deal IMO. My T-5 is good to 600ft lbs and 600 hp. There's lots of fox bodies running in the 10's with T-5's.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I found this ........ (at the bottom of this page).

It talks about a T 5 installing in a 1st gen . All = any , T 5 info helps ..... you just have too weed through that info ----- NOT ALL of it is correct ........ but, still it is info

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62288

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My built T-5 is behind my 450hp BB and shifts at 7500rpm, it 75 lbs lighter then a TKO, no tunnel mods and only cost me $2500 Canadian, so the T-5 is a much better deal IMO. My T-5 is good to 600ft lbs and 600 hp. There's lots of fox bodies running in the 10's with T-5's.
The so called "Super Duty" T5 at the original site posted (Modern Driveline) is advertised as only being rated to 330 ft-lbs, so it in particular isn't a good deal when compared to a TKO.

Which vendor is your T5 from that's rated to 600 ft-lbs?

Having put a TKO in a 2nd Gen, I can say it's not too complicated. Just about any other type of patch panel that's commonly needed on these cars would be more work and "cost".

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The so called "Super Duty" T5 at the original site posted (Modern Driveline) is advertised as only being rated to 330 ft-lbs, so it in particular isn't a good deal when compared to a TKO.

Which vendor is your T5 from that's rated to 600 ft-lbs?

Having put a TKO in a 2nd Gen, I can say it's not too complicated. Just about any other type of patch panel that's commonly needed on these cars would be more work and "cost".
G Force and Astro gears and it's been behind my BB for 2 years now. You have to understand what causes the T-5 to break to understand how to make them stronger. it's no different then the Muncie series, the M22 was not any stronger then the 20 and 21, it had less helical cut n the gears putting less end preasure on the case, allowing them to survive longer. Most people think it's the gears that fail, when it's actually the case that fails first.

A TKO won't shift over 6500rpm without extensive internal work and the T-5 can be swapped in a weekend with minimal body modifications and half of the cost of a stock TKO. I'm under $3000 Canadian for everything in my Nova, I can't buy just the TKO trans for that much up here.

Here's some info https://www.themustangshop.ca/product/303514/650448

1 - 16 of 16 Posts