Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I answered a thread here and got in touch with David Wheeler of Hellig Products Inc. After a couple of weeks, I delivered my car, a 63 Convertible, to him in Visalia for research and development of a new sway bar for the front of my CPP mini-sub frame equipped car. OBW they also installed a very adjustable rear sway bar assembly too.

After several calls and some assurances to David that he could keep the car for as long as he needed to get it right. The first attempt had some high travel interference and he wanted to continue to work with the car. So what the heck, I have two other drivers(gloat) and no skin off my teeth if he needs more time. Besides he was doing this for gratis and who am I to look the proverbial horse in the mouth!

The handling after the new front a rear sway bars were installed is worthy of praise. Sometime in the near future, I will take it on a cruse to the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains here on Hwy 168 and will give a further report on the curve carving abilities of Blondie. I gave it the quick left right on a local street and it was really nice to see how level it kept on the road.

I also toured Hellig Product, Inc. production facilities. Wow what a class place. These bars really get a super heat treatment and a unique hammer-tone finish in their powder coating facility.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I like the looks of the rear bar. Mounted on the bottom of the housing it wont roll around. Where exactly do the ends mount on the car? Is there a part number yet?

Thanks
The end links mount through the rear frame and these are welded to the frame. This rear sway bar is presently available I believe. This picture should clarify the relationship of the end link. I saw a recent post on another thread today and this end link is a far superior design with adustment too. I believe the part number for the rear bar is 5814.
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/catalog

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The end links mount through the rear frame and these are welded to the frame. This rear sway bar is presently available I believe. This picture should clarify the relationship of the end link. I saw a recent post on another thread today and this end link is a far superior design with adustment too. I believe the part number for the rear bar is 5814.
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/catalog

Oops I got the number wrong for the rear sway bar: 5818 is the Hellwig part number and the new number for the new front sway bar will be 5828 when it is released.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
Thanks for the info. I asked for more info from Hellwig and they sent the installation instructions on the 5818. Welding in the tube on one side that goes through the frame is what they call severe duty. Personally I wouldn't do one without welding it. With the big wide tires I would slam it in the turn as hard as I could get it:yes:

I might even have the inside frame rail washer welded also.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Nice, gotta love a freebie.. Im in the process of doing a front sway bar for my 62. Getting tight up front. Always seems like the sway bar gets treated like a "red headed step child" when it comes down to space needs for my stuff. So I have a narrow window of room thats available, and looking at your pics I could fit that one in there. Did they give you the spring rate of the bar????? Looks good. JR

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice, gotta love a freebie.. Im in the process of doing a front sway bar for my 62. Getting tight up front. Always seems like the sway bar gets treated like a "red headed step child" when it comes down to space needs for my stuff. So I have a narrow window of room thats available, and looking at your pics I could fit that one in there. Did they give you the spring rate of the bar????? Looks good. JR
I have no idea of the spring rate of the bar, though it is a solid bar rather than a tubular piece. David said because of the tight bends to adapt to the CPP mini sub-frame, the tubular would not bend in a short enough radius. Feel free I am sure an email to David Wheeler will get a good response to the spring rate question.

I intend to go further with this sway bar setup for at least one of my other cars. In other words, buy a front and rear set when available.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts