Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting the planning for my 73 Nova with drums all the way around, and I am having a hard time with something? I am not sure if I should replace the whole sub frame or if I should just upgrade my stock one. I have looked at heidts, and speed tech. I want a good driver and if I go to the strip then I can run it for fun. I mainly just want a good driver. Not sure what to do. What do you guys have to say about it good or bad, worth it not worth it?

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
If you just want a car that handles better than stock on the street then I would just do a guldstrand mod, rebuild the steering box so it's not so sloppy if it is already or replace it with a quicker ratio one, stiffer sway bar, lower it, single adjustable shocks and heavier springs on the front.

For the rear I would run a set of Cal Tracs and also replace the shocks with single adjustables and heavier springs. Depending on how it handles I would also consider a rear sway bar.

OR.....you could call Hotchkiss! They have a really nice bolt in set up for your year car that will make it handle really nice!

John

P.S. Disc brake conversion and subframe connectors too!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not to sure but i want to drop a 454 in it as well. It had a six in it before. I havent done anything to the frame.Not to sure off the top of my head if it has power steering in it. Its been awhile since i have put real eye on the car. I planed on getting a disc conversion for it too. I did read about the mod in a thread earlyer some said that it all depends on the combination of tires springs and other things to make it work right. Is That true? i Will also give a call when i get back didnt know that they made a rear end kit for that year. The only plans for the car is to make it a sloid driver. Just not sure were to start on it or what to put in it

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
What's your budget?? If you don't mind spending the money to have better than what you want, spend the money. If you're trying to keep it low budget, stick with the stock one and upgrade. I'm building a car that will be driven 99% of the time on the street. I'll be lucky if I ever get to the track or do any kind of road racing, but I went with the full set up: Speed Tech subframe, Prodigy Bar triangulated 4 link in the rear, etc. I wanted to build the car the way I wanted to and that's all that matters to me. I don't care that I'm going over board with most of it and I don't mind spending the money on the parts because it's what I want. I know that if I do ever get the chance to do some serious driving, it'll handle quite well. Check out my build thread if you want to see what I'm doing to mine.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Save your money, there is enough info out there to dial a stock subframe in pretty well, unless you're going to full out road race, I think you can spend your money better on a 3rd gen.:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
You can do a fine driver with the stock frame. Think about how firm you want it before calling Hotchkis. It is my kind of firm, but it is not for everyone. www.pozziracing.com has a wealth of information. You don't even have to spend a lot to get decent street manors. Full on road racing can add up though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts