Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got my new carbon fiber dash in from Covans, new Fuel guage and moved my pod to the dash. The speedo is electronic 160MPH ( not fast enough) that hooks direct to the Tremec. The Tremec has the option for mechanical cable, and electric. New covers from GM, 2 piece that you can take the top only off to adjust valves. Sucks as you cannot get the tools in there to adjust anyway, but I like the look of them. The gaskets leaked on the dyno, blew them right out at 7,000 RPM, so I dremeled a channel almost like an O-Ring reciever on the upper and lower lids, then TQ'ed them down and now no leaks. I would NOT advise getting them unless you O-Ringed them yourself, and as mentioned cannot adjust valve lash unless you take them 100% off like traditional covers. The plan was to make a plexi-glass cover for one of the tops, and put that on for shows so you could see the 60/40 valve spacing, and the Jesel rocker system, but I gave up on that idea, too much hassle just for a show. Solid roller and I have about 6,000 miles on this new motor and have yet to see the valve lash change, lift is .688in, so its not a mild cam. The Jesel system locks things tight as a drum, good system, pricey, but good. Here are some of the new things:
Flaming River Tilt col.
New steering wheel, SS horn button
New dash
New gauges
New valve covers
Note the radio delete, I am planning to put the radio in a custom consul on the floor. The spot where it should go is tight due to the Vintage Air II system, it actually was sticking out from the old dash about 1.5" because of the air getting in the way. Rather than cut that dash, a new spot is going to be found. Not that I can or want to hear the radio much with all that HP and a full 3" exhaust, its darn loud music just listening to that motor going through the gears at 7K plus RPM.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its Covan's dash for 68 only with key in the dash, not col. Its carbon fibre LOOK, plastic, but man you can almost not tell its plastic.
Covan's asked me a few years ago to lend them my 68 dash so they sould mold for 68. I didn't back then, but they cut a good deal on this one.
Gauges are all the ones I had in the lower pod, had to purchase only a gas gauge and speedo, all custom cut where I wanted them, not where they put them.
Had to arrange signal, high beam, and emergency brake lights all on LED bulbs. nice and bright at night now, can finally see it all at night.
If the bulbs for the LED signals are too bright, I plan on hitting the lens covers with 1,000 grit paper to dull the finish on the covers, that will knock the brightness down a tad.
I could not do the work due to my lower back, 5 broke vertabae, and walking by the grace of you know who.
Blake at Killers Customs lent me a hand, and custom cut it all in for me.
They even set my speedo pacing with a turbo benz owned by Jay, needless to say they love the HP of my car.
When it came into the shop, everyone stopped to see what the racket was, and then Blake opened the hood and the staff saw that a small block was makin that racket, ya 440" of small block, solid roller too boot, clang, clang, boom, boom..

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
So when you got the Covan's dash, did it just have the gauge cluster or the entire dash area? Do you have a pic of it with none of the gauges in and before you had it installed in the car?
No before pictures, sorry.
Covan's just supplied the blank dash, and that is what I wanted no gauges, no holes, we had to cut where I wanted the gauges to go, turn signals, everything. They did have area's for lights, wiper, and re-enforced behind where those go, and re-enforced behind the ignition, those were the only fixed points. They did drill the factory mounting screw holes where the dash mounts.
I had all the guages except for fuel and Speedo, so I just purchased those to match the oil, volt, and water that I had. Fit is 100%, and actually better than factory. the factory dash had an opening, or warp from all the years in the heat outdoors. I think the Covans is thicker than the factory, and I doubt it would ever warp from sunlight heat, etc, pretty meatie dash, and the re-enforcing behind for lights, wiper is super meatie, good product, come see, and have a ride too..

OH, also note, there was no provision for the cig lighter re-enforced in the dash, on a 68 its above the ignition on the dash. Since i use a G-Tech Meter, i put a 12 volt outlet under the A/C control unit driver left knee area.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
One of these days I plan on taking you up for a ride. Thanks for the info. One other thing with what ik working on now....the steering column. Did you end up using the new stock clamp they have, part fr20300 or one of the billet brackets to install it. I have one of the billet ones but it doesn't fit so I've ordered one of the new clamps they say works with the stock brackets.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of these days I plan on taking you up for a ride. Thanks for the info. One other thing with what ik working on now....the steering column. Did you end up using the new stock clamp they have, part fr20300 or one of the billet brackets to install it. I have one of the billet ones but it doesn't fit so I've ordered one of the new clamps they say works with the stock brackets.
Had to use the stock bracket and steel clamp, much confusion even with Flaming River as to what to do. 68 only is a single year and can cause a lot of grief, dash too is one off as you know.
Same as the PS rack offered by a number of manufacturers, fits, but does it really ????.
Blake and I took a peek at one and to get the headers right you ended up thowing the ackerman all to heck. Blake is now custom making headers due to this ackerman issue.
Bolt on, ya, right, then change your headers to custom pipes on the drivers side, and max diameter is down to 1 5/8" on some pipes, not for 440" MOTOR, NO WAY.
There are a number of issues with 68 Nova, and some others but bug a BOO mostly unique to 68. These parts that bolt on and fit, do NOT fit, or you end MANY BUCKS LATER CHANGING SOMETHING TO FIT THIER BOLT IN.
I am sure you have run into this 100 times already, its a learn as you go deal with 68.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Looking good Pat :yes: It must feel like a new car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts