Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just installed an Alpine CDE- 9852 deck and new speakers. I had labeled all the old wires from a previous deck in the car so as to be able to install this new one by myself. All went well, got the stereo working, CD, iPOD, and radio. The wires were identical and had no problems.

BUT now when I put the car in REVERSE (activating the back-up lights), the radio fuse blows and the car dies...and won't start. I replaced the fuse with a higher amp, same result. I double-checked all stereo wires and even disconnected the stereo itself, no help. Now with the stereo disconnected and nothing but the ignition wire running to the fuse box (to eliminate overloading), I'm stumped.

Help! I gotta get this fixed and pronto.

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
im not expert but sounds like the alpine may be taking more amperage, which ive heard about alpine,,between your back up lights and brake lights being on when you put your foot on the pedal its causing to much of a load

have you tried disconnecting the back up light switch to see what happens?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Matter of fact, I did exactly that and it works fine. I did notice it was the reverse fuse that was blowing, not the radio fuse. I disconnected the reverse switch from the shifter (B&M Pro Rachet) and everything seems to operate properly...minus reverse lights.

But now I have no back-up lights! Is there an inline fuse or some part of the back-up light system that could cause them to not work that I'm missing? They've worked fine since I installed the switch on the shifter and it isn't exactly rocket science to connect the wires.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Did you install your new stereo or wiring near where the backup light wiring runs? Perhaps you've pinched the wire or run a screw through it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I double-checked that no wires were exposed or have the possibility of grounding or touching other wires. The thing is, I took out an aftermarket deck that was showing it's age and labeled every wire, which were identical. I plugged the new positive lead directly into where the old one was (on the "battery" spot on the fuse panel). And since there's only "Battery", "Accessories", and "Ignition", I deducted that was the best spot anyway.

It makes sense that the stereo is drawing power somehow through the taillights. But how can I fix this? There are only so many places to stick the stereo power lead.

The only solution I can think of would be to undo the original connection to the constant "battery" source and swap that with the ammeter that runs through "accessories." Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,047 Posts
I would look over the backup lights. I would almost bet you have done something to cause the backup light to blow fuses. You said that you upped the amp of the B/U lamps. They are normally two 1157 bulbs. Just by them being on and the radio being on it shouldn't draw that many amps. I would use a fused home made jumper and run power straight to the lamps and see what happens. Use the half split method; start in the middle and find the end with the problem. Narrow the problem to radio or B/U lights, then go from there. If you blew a 10 amp fuse with the B/U lights and radio you have a short somewhere.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
This thread got me thinking. When I got my stereo installed, a similar thing happened to me. Whenever I put the car in reverse, the radio would turn off and I'd have to turn it back on. Lately, it's been fine, but only because my backup lights don't work. Maybe I'll look into this on the weekend.

Matt

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I've solved the problem, more or less. The fuse box had 5 wires:

Ignition (from HEI)---Ignition
Orange constant power---Battery
Yellow Radio---Battery
Red Ammeter---Battery
Red Tachometer---Accessories

Originally, both the red ammeter and yellow radio were going with the orange to the battery for constant power (connected like radio instructed). But since the Alpine unit was drawing more amps than the previously professionally installed unit, it blew the back-up lights fuse (constant).

To solve this, I simply connected yellow radio and red ammeter to the "Accessories" link on the fuse panel to give power to those only when key is turned. I then routed the red tachometer with the orange constant to the "Battery" link on the fuse panel to give those power constantly.

Ignition (from HEI)---Ignition
Orange constant power---Battery
Yellow Radio---Accessories
Red Ammeter---Accessories
Red Tachometer---Battery

All works well, but since the radio isn't fed by constant power, all the pre-sets need to be set every time I turn on the radio. The back-up lights and radio are now mutually exclusive, unfotunately. I may just have to run it like that for a little while, until I can get a wiring harness. I'm thinking there's a bug in the wiring or a design flaw somewhere. Just seems bizarre.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I do not know too much about radios, had to post my own ?'s on this matter. The memory wire, (you probally know )controls the presets........you might still have 2 wires that needs to be swaped. I would have to look at mine again, but I do know my fuse box was pretty loaded up, so I just went straight to a fuse in the fuse box, and another wire spliced into the cig. lighter harness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
need radio help

I have a 78 and am looking for the installation kit that is best to use. I am looking for the dash adaptor as well as the wiring needed. Novice installer so any pics would help. Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
JohnnyNoGood,

Read the Ignition Source thread here by OrionSS.:yes:

Maybe you too need an alternate under dash power source like the M.A.D. relay and terminal junction box setup there. The kit comes with wiring harness, relay, terminal junction block and instruction book.:cool:

Read it and see what you think.

Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts