Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from the debate about which brand of sound deadener to use I tried something a few days ago that seems to have worked well. I cut some old foam rubber from a sofa that I reupholstered and inserted it into the backside of the rear seat back and bottom cushions. I used an old electric carving knife to make the necessary cuts. This creates a very dense area for the sound from the trunk and the floor pan located the seat bottom to penetrate. I am happy with the results and since the foam was free I think the results are certainly worth the effort. I imagine you can get used foam from a furniture upholstery shop for little or no money.
Maybe this would be worth a try for some of you:yes:

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Greg,

If you don't mind me asking, how thick was this foam rubber and how much did you use?

I'm in the process of building my 71 and was trying to think of a way to deaden the sound from the trunk and rear wheel well areas. I put on a layer of Peel and Seal but need something to take up that space. You've got the right idea but I just need the size thickness you used..

Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey ovrdrive, I filled the entire void with foam that was about 6" thick and as wide as the seat. By the way, the firmer the foam the better it will deaden the sound because the firmer it is the denser it is, too. However, even the less dense foam will trap a lot of sound. I read somewhere that low frequencies are trapped by dense/think foam and since road noise is low frequency then using this foam trick will cut a lot of the road noise entering the car from the area of the rear seat.
Like I said in my original post, try using an electric carving knife because using a razor style shop knife will not make the same clean cut.
Finally, if you can't find an old 5 or 6 inch foam cushion then go ahead and use some 3/4 or 1 inch foam. Just jamb in into the void between the seat springs and you will get the same effect.
Please PM me whenever you finish your seat and let me know if you think it works in your case, even if it takes you a year or two to finish the job:)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
hey what about housing insulation? would that work too?
I think the home insulation called "STONE WOOL" would work better than the fiberglass stuff. It is made from volcano ash. Melted into a fiber type material. Good for reducing heat and sound. It does cost more. I watched the story about this product on the TV show "How it is made".

Lowe's has it listed on their web site.

Bryan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts