Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New SoCal member introduction.

I’ve been lurking here for a while. The new member sticky says, “Post a little bit about yourselves, where you’re from, your favourite team sports teams, your likes or dislikes, the cars you own. Anything you would like to share with us all”. Forgive me for going into too much boring detail.

Short version. My sons and I are looking to build a ‘70’s Nova for my 15 year old’s first car.

We’re from SoCal, San Diego area. My sons, 15 and almost 11 years old, are aspiring gear heads. I’ve only owned two cars from ‘83 to ‘16. I know how to take care of cars and keep them looking great but I’ve done almost no wrenching.

I’ve been letting my 15 yo son drive around in parking lots for a while now. He’s doing really well. I started teaching him to drive a manual when he was 11. It was important to me for him to have that skill. It’s almost time for my younger one to start, he’ll need to grow a bit though.

I’ve read that having a manual transmission is practically a theft deterrent device these days.

I have a ‘15 Infiniti Q50 sedan, ‘83 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, my wife drives a ‘00 Nissan Xterra 5 speed 4x4. I just sold my ‘95 Acura Legend and my wife’s ‘95 Toyota pickup.

As our discussions turned to what he’d like for his first car, he immediately ruled out anything foreign. My experience with driving my dads crapy ‘80’s American, Blazer, Bronco and my tumultuous relationship with my, fresh off showroom floor, T-Bird turned me toward, Acura and Infiniti. My wife has had a Honda and a Toyota and now a Nissan. Those, albeit boring, cars are/were so rock solid and bullet-proof that they’ve really spoiled us.

Initially, he wanted to go with a Fox-body Mustang. He then started to focus on an early 70’s Nova. This came with an added bonus, a friend of ours has a beautifully restored ‘68.

His school has a great auto-shop. We found that he couldn’t enroll until next year, when he’s in 11th grade. He found a way around that though. He joined the adult education auto body/restoration class that meets at night. We’ve already made great connections with guys that have tons of experience. They’ve been very generous with their time.

So our journey begins. We’re looking forward to learning from you guys and hopefully contributing to your community.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Good to hear from you and what you are doing with your sons. Did almost the same thing with our kids when they were younger. Today my son is 45 years old and the daughters are 43 and 39 and we all are still in the cars more than ever. What you are doing with your boys will never be forgotten for the rest of their life. And welcome to SNS from Arizona!!

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! :horse:pics when you get your Nova?

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
524 Posts
Welcome! Cool that your boys are interested in cars. I wish my 17 y/o was...but the Nova just cant compete with social media!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Welcome, and good luck with your project, it promises to be a very rewarding experience for all of you.

Gerry

·
Registered
106 Posts
Welcome,

I'm in Carlsbad, north county. I drove down to Chula Vista and back today, so I guess I drove near your hood at some point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome guys!

I am hoping to build some great memories

I’ll post pics as soon as we find our project.

I see that there is a ton of knowledge here.

Social media is tough competition. For my boys it’s X-Box. At least they love the car games. Forza is amazing, for a game. They do get to know dang-near every car out there from that game.

I’m in Fletcher Hills, so not too far from C’bad.

We already ran in to our first scam.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,849 Posts
Welcome to SNS

for "Hosting Pictures to SNS" .... I'm using Flickr.com ..... Works very good. When you use "Manage Attachments" -- it Works, but , most pic's are "BIG" ..... just FYI

Check out the "3rd gen social group" in the 3rd gen section.

(you should list your "Location" .... there's a lot of Nova's in So Cal ......... Like 'xten57' , beautiful 69, plus much more).

again, Welcome -- from Arizona

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Welcome to the madness SNS :D Getting the kids involved will be the best thing you did. I love working on my novas with my boys because at the end. They will know how to work on there novas :yes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We’re looking for something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Chevr...sh=item56b9082256:g:lUIAAOSwa29bxQwh#viTabs_2

The school auto body shop teacher says that they can easily remedy dents, dings and most rust issues. Apparently tweaked frames are no problem either. It’s amazing when he demonstrates his prowess by banging a hood with a hammer then pulling the dents out. He makes it look easy.

The lady that oversees the program’s son, is good friends with mine. She has a great shop at her house and says we can store it and work on it there when it’s not at the school.

Does it look like rust through, or just the paint chipping off in places? We’re just trying to get a feel for the market. It’s 8 hrs away so we probably won’t get to see it.

Our friend that restored his says to go with a 350. My son wants a big block. What do you guys think? Is it prohibitively difficult to change from a V6 to an V8?

The goal is to get something relatively cheap that needs a good amount of work but not so much that it will never get rolling.

I’ll post the scam offer we got too.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Nova

That car has LOTS of rust ...us Midwest guys can sniff that out a mile away be carefull 5k for a car that needs rust repair on doors, quarters guessing wheel house if the quarters are rusty bet the floor and rear window frame and trunk floors have issues ..having the help is great but rebuilding a car due to rust may not be a great 1 car.

Parts & Materials for this type of project get expensive FAST

My .02

1 - 14 of 14 Posts