Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have aftermarket bucket seats in their car? I have the hard plastic buckets and I want an upgrade. I'm looking for something with more cushion without a highback. I want a set of the reproduction seats; but they are over 1300 by the time you buy everything. :mad:

·
Registered
290 Posts
My dad worked at a wrecking yard and they pulled out 2004 eclipse leather seats for me for $150 for the pair. Only minor fabrication and they bolted right in.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have those Summit seats in my 72. If you want I could post a pic to give you an idea on how they look. They installed very easily. Height was perfect as well. The car was produced with a bench seat.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Hawk1 said:
I have those Summit seats in my 72. If you want I could post a pic to give you an idea on how they look. They installed very easily. Height was perfect as well. The car was produced with a bench seat.
Ya Ya pics are good!:)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ideas. I saw those in the Summit catalog but wasn't sure how they would look. Hawk1 How do those seats feel sitting in them? Do they sit pretty good? How did you go about mountinmg them?

·
Registered
419 Posts
They sit really nice. I was actually surprised at how well they fit. They put you up high enough but not too high that a tall person would be up in the headliner.
Install was not a problem. Once I decided to go ahead a drill the floor pan and not try to buy or fab up brackets to weld in, the install went really easy. The outside slider (next to door) sits directly on the raised section of the floor pan where the bench mounted to. Not the same hole as the bench but real close. The inside slider needs to be raised approx one inch to one and a quarter inch to level the seat. You may need more or less depending on your application. I used 5/16 bolts/nylocks for mounting, as well as, 5/16 washers to shim up the inside sliders. If you can, you'll want to put the seat in the middle of the sliders. Then position the seat so that the rear slider bolts are right above the rear floor pan support. If you're a tall person you may want to move the seat mounting position back more. This spot, I felt, allows the seat to adjust forward for shorter people or back for taller. The outside front slider hole will mount on the outside pan support. The front inside slider hole will need a 5/16 "fender" washer on the bottom side as this hole goes through just the thin portion of the pan. It will give you more "clamping" area to tighten up the bolt. After everything is tightened up I carefully rolled back my carpet and again, carefully cut to allow the carpet to lay under the seat next to the sliders. The carpet will lay low enough to clear the sliders up and back movement as well as high enough on the floor to cover the shims for the inside sliders. Keep in mind when positioning the seat that they are straight forward and the same distance from the tunnel. I installed my shifter after the seats were mounted but before rolling the carpet back.
I dumped my PM box, if you have any ??'s or whatever just ask. :)

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the information Hawk1; It looks those might be the ones I get. I found another set at Summit but they are almost 300 each. They look god in your car. From what I see and what I measured it looks like they will work around the door bar with moving anything.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The bottom set looks like a factory bucket seat. That is kind of what I'm looking for also.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like the bottom seats also. They look clean and simple.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I seen a pic with those seats in a nova, if we didnt know better you would think they came from the factory..

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I seen a pic with those seats in a nova, if we didnt know better you would think they came from the factory..
Thats kind of what I'm going for now. I used to want the Pro-street look; but with my dash being redone I want a more stock appearing look. I really like the day two look and I am trying to move towards that. Now I wish I had bought the old school looking wheels.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I feel your pain, my plans seem to change every week on my car.Ive bought 2 sets of wheels already and resold them.In one hand i want my car to look pro touring, and in the other i dont want to ruin the originality of it...:confused:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts