Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new drilled and slotted rotors from classic industries with ceramic pads. After installing it I tried to spin the rotor and it was hard to spin. is that normal?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I've found that every once in a while new pads are extra thick and it makes installation difficult and/or causes the problem you're having. One time I actually had to surface grind some pads just to get them installed because they were so far out of tolerance.

So, I'm not saying for sure you don't have a problem, but it could just be thick pads (or, for that matter, thick rotors). First thing I'd do is bed the rotors, then trying spinning them after they cool down and see what happens. You may not have a problem after the initial use.

I'm not a professional mechanic, but I don't worry if the wheels are a little hard to turn. It's going to correct itself after enough use - at least that's my philosophy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I was thinking. New pads a lot of material on them, but also didn't want to ruin new rotors cuz I did something wrong.lol anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You might check the pistons on the new calipers to make sure they are fully recessed.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Is the wheel drag after depressing the brake pedal a few times, taking for a drive to the end of the block and back?

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
AGree with above. just adding.

when putting new pads and rotors on they do sometimes go on hard( make sure your caliper is open all the way ad all surfaces are cleaned and those that can be lubed are lubed). Once installed as long as the tire rotates by hand with the same amount of pressure then all should be well. might as well check your bearing with the tire on( more leverage) and the car in the air, push/ pull top to bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
All good things to check....just a question...

Did the caliper slide over the rotor easily? If not, sometimes you will get ceramic pads that are a little thicker.

If they slid over easily make sure they have the correct amount of shims so you don't pull the caliper into the rotor when you tighten it up...

T,

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did drive the car around the block and it felt fine. no grinding noise or any unusual noise. I did leave the old bearing on, re greased them and put them back. ill put the car in the car and rotate the wheel to see how they feel.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might check the pistons on the new calipers to make sure they are fully recessed.
they are the old calipers and did use a C clam and the old brake pad to recess them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good things to check....just a question...

Did the caliper slide over the rotor easily? If not, sometimes you will get ceramic pads that are a little thicker.

If they slid over easily make sure they have the correct amount of shims so you don't pull the caliper into the rotor when you tighten it up...

T,
I got ceramic pads and it was a bit of a pain to put on the rotor. It was also due to the caliper mounting holes and that little spacer that was poking out and wouldn't let it slide over the hole.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I got ceramic pads and it was a bit of a pain to put on the rotor. It was also due to the caliper mounting holes and that little spacer that was poking out and wouldn't let it slide over the hole.
Sounds like your problem. The calipers should literally fall on the rotor, then you add shims as required. Try a set of stock pads and see if they are thinner. Especially if you used a c-clamp, they should slide right on. If you have to force them, something is wrong....

T,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts