Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 73 last month. Car was an x drag car that was sort of put back on the street... this is a project street-strip car for my step son and I. We started out by pulling the axles out and diff cover off of the 12 bolt and found 4.10 gears, and 31 spline Strange axles with c clip eliminators, all in great shape. So we got new tires mounted up. Hoosier Quick Time Pro 27 10.5 15. Next up we will be moving our way to the rear suspension to inspect. It has leaf springs and competition engineering slide a link with QA1 single adjustable shocks.

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just wanted to give an update. Well it has been more of a project than originally planned. Found that the rear gears had about double the backlash they should, so new gears, then decided to put caltracs on with their split monoleafs. Next up was getting the converter sent out to be speced for my combination. After getting the car out on the road I soon realized that it was pulling to the right during braking, after some inspection a bad lower control arm bushing was found. So front end rebuild started. Just got the car aligned last weekend and now it's going to the track on Saturday. My budget is way blown past... lol, not sure what mythical world I thought I was living in... drag car and budget cant ever live in harmony.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Good luck out there. Nothing more nerve racking than first time out with a new combo. How quick are you thinking it will be?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, yes, always a little bit of new car first pass jitters. I have driven it around on the street a bit and it feels stable and predictable.

The engine was dynoed by the previous owner and it made 482hp/440tq. The car weighs 3365 with driver... I am guessing 11.50's which is right where I want to be. I just want a fill the fuel cell write the dial in on the window... repeat. Low maintenance and simple is the goal.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I think you'll be pretty close. Maybe even a little faster. Thinking back on mine about 20+ years ago, I made 540 hp and weighed 3675. The car went 11.20's consistently. I was in the mid 1.50's in 60' too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The weather does not look like it is going to cooperate... 80% chance with about a 1/2" of rain in the forecast.

If it does go quicker, I am tech legal to 11.0, I dont see it going any quicker than 11.20's even in great air and fully sorted out.

Car has a trans brake and an 8" 5000 stall converter. I like wheelies, and hope it leaves pretty hard.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The weather does not look like it is going to cooperate... 80% chance with about a 1/2" of rain in the forecast.

If it does go quicker, I am tech legal to 11.0, I dont see it going any quicker than 11.20's even in great air and fully sorted out.

Car has a trans brake and an 8" 5000 stall converter. I like wheelies, and hope it leaves pretty hard.
What are you missing to go quicker than 11.0’s

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are you missing to go quicker than 11.0’s
First off more hp... next... my trans shield is expired, and I dont have a SFI ballancer. So, 11.0 or slower is where I want to keep it.

Going to take it to local 1/8 mile track tomorrow night.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
An SFI balancer is a good investment regardless of ET. Its RPM that you have to worry about. And as far as the trans shield, I figure if the tech inspector wants to climb under there and look at it more power to him. Mine was 15 years old and recerted once in that time. It had never experienced a trans failure so why should it not be good.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had a pretty good first time out with the car. I got 4 runs.

60' was best 1.518 - worst 1.536
1/8 mile et best 7.361 - worst 7.372

Had 1 bad light, .101.. then the others were .020 .022 & .029

The car left nice, small wheelie off the line and felt solid going down the track.

Overall I am very pleased.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Well there you go. 7.36 x 1.57= 11.55. Good job you made your goal and low 1.50’s is good for mid 11’s.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was this car acquired from Maryland?/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Looks very familiar.
No, I got the car in Northern California. I also spoke the guy who built the engine who knew some history of the car, it was built and raced in California.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been busy for the past few weeks building a box for the front of my open car trailer to hold tools, Jack, Jack stands, air tank, generator, etc. I will have it done tonight and that's good since my first bracket race (Summit Series at Fontana) is this weekend. It has been about 10 1/2 years since I have been in competition. All of my friends say it's just like riding a bike, it will all come back to you. I still think I am going to need some luck.. Haha.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
DRIVING the car is like riding a bike. I found no matter how long I was out of the car as soon as I rolled into the water it was like day 1. However, the competition has in my opinion tightened up. Everybody is a good driver today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts