Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
high there everone . This is an awsome site you've got here.I just recently bought 67 chevy 11 and I'm looking for suggestion on how to go about some of my ideas. 1st I would like to put an independant rear sus. in it, but some how put some serious low pro meat back there as well ( I'm thinkin 315/35R17). I plan on making it a cruzer but plenty of power to dust off all the stock vetts around my home town.................Any Ideas

Thanks
:chev: :cool: :beer:

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
My .02

In my opinion you have 2 options:

1 - Go the cheap route and buy a front clip(I'm partial to Wayne Dues. Here is a link to his camaro clip http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=3771&highlight=wayne+front+clip)
For the rear:
If you want a pure dragger than go 12 bolt 9" ford live axle with a 3 link rear.
If you want a mostly street/dragger then go 12 bolt 9" ford live axle and truck arm.
If you want a Handler then beef up your leafs and get a watts.
If you want to have a show/no go car then beef up your leafs(Hotchkiss?).

Don't forget the subfame connectors and the Mini tub!

2 - Expensive route? Cut the firewall, floor pan, trunk and have Wayne Due, Art Morrison or Jeff Schwartz bend you a frame and drop your body on it and have them weld a 6 or 8 point roll cage. While they are bending it they can slap a C-5 front end and whatever IRS suits your purpose(I like the Mustang Cobra rears myself since their hub to hub is very close to the novas and they are built for low torque high horse situations like mine(550 HP LS2!)). Have them reweld the firewall(don't forget to remind them to setback the crossmembers to move the engine back!) the floors and trans tunnel and the trunk floor. From there your engine and trans choices are endless but most important get good tires!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thank for the reply,
do you know anything about the Hiedt's IFS,IRS? what about there subframe connector/ solid rear end combo. I am aiming at for some serios Hp . thinking of going with the LS7 If I can find the right M/T combo.
not terribly interested in the stip, but I do want stability and dependablity for the street. ...........where can I find info about " how to" install mini tubs?

·
Banned
726 Posts
We're building a 71 camaro with a 2006 corvette drivetrain right now. A magna-charged LS6 and the corvette IRS. There are companies out there like Progressive Automotive and Rod City that can make a IRS setup for you. They can taylor make a vette or Jaguar IRS. Anything is possible. I think we should ask.. how much do you want to spend ?
-Steve

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Honestly, If you want to make a lot of power and not worry about your rear end I would go with a 9" ford rear and a truck arm. The 9" will let you go from mild to wild and you won't have to change out the rear. Talk to Steve at www.hotrodstohell.net. He has a vast knowledge base of truck arm suspensions. His friend Gchandler has a rippin' chevelle that can smoke most anything on the road and he has a truck arm setup. I think IRS is better suited if you are going to drive mostly street and not put more than 700 RWHP on the car. This is the case with me but I am planning on doing a full frame to go along with it so I won't have any packaging issues.
If I'm not mistaken, Watts device keeps your rear end from moving side to side.
As far as Heidts, they seem more appropriate to pro/street and drag cars. You know, straight line performance. And they're pretty too! I want to build a high performance sports car with a 2nd gen body('66 Chevy 2) so I am going to go with a front end with corvette components. Again, Wayne Due(www.waynedue.com), Art Morrison(www.artmorrison.com), or Jeff Schwartz(www.schwartzperformance.com) can do this for you if this is what you want your car to do.
Try and buy a book called "Chassis Engineering" by Herb Adams. It will give you real good perspective as to how and why things do the things they do and what you want to look for in a suspension and chassis. Good read although I had to skip some of the formulas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts