Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took delivery of this puppy Saturday. For better or worse. I am amazed that the only cancer I found was in the battery tray! The interior is beyond repair and there are some minor whiskey dents on the body, but nothing that won't be an easy fix. This was a 6 cyl. clutch car and I even found the bell crank in the trunk along with the tail lights, headlight rings and I'm guessing the stock hub caps. I have never seen seat covers like these, I wonder if they are original.
The glass is in almost excellent condition. I rolled all the windows down to keep it that way!

I am rethinking my original plan to put a clip under it that would facilitate my 427 BBC. I may go back with a small block and a standard trans. The $2400 I would spend on the clip would go a long way toward other parts to get it drivable. I have a 305, a saginaw 3 speed and the original driveline. The sorry state of drag racing these days has me not really wanting to race again. But I would like to have a streetable classic!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Oh boy, you can have a lot of fun with a project like that one! I agree with you that having a classic you can drive around is great to own. I am trying to make mine comfortable for long distance even though I doubt I will ever drive it farther than across town BUT going on the Power Tour would be nice :yes:
Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
There were some like that the other day on here on a nice Ebay car I believe?

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Cool plan(s) for the car and within a budget of a small block ... :yes:

I hope that you ll keep the Fender Tag(s) on there with the V8 tucked away in there .... :eek:

·
13,727 Posts

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
YOU SHOULD ENJOY THIS ONE! HAVE FUN!:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does look like the same material, but in a smaller pattern format. These seats have been transplanted from some other car, because Sport Coupes didn't have buckets.

Bob
According to the VIN decoder, mine is a Chevy ll Nova 400 and the body code says 2 door coupe.

There is a raised pad on each side of the tunnel like a bucket mount, but some of the holes aren't lined up. I doubt these are original.

Would a bench seat still fit a bucket seat car?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've finally sold my 427, so I have money for the 64. I have about decided to keep it, mainly because it is here and paid for. The Camaro I wanted to buy would deplete what funds I made off the engine. I know 67 Camaro's are in big demand and cool, but isn't a 64 Nova on the street cool too?

MY plans would be to put the CPP front end kit under it so it would have control arms and no strut. I guess I could live with the weird oil pan and stock steering if the arms kept it going straight. I may even leave the drum brakes on it. Heck, I ran my 68 Camaro in Super Pro running low 11's with drum brakes. They are lighter anyway. I can always upgrade later if I feel the need.

I have been hoarding a 4 bolt 350 that came out of my Grandmothers 69 Chevelle. Would be cool to have it running again! I have a THM 350 that probably just needs a rebuild and shift kit. May narrow an 8.5 10 bolt out of a 79 Trans Am I have to replace the stock rear end and call it good.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Looks decent enough! Not really bad at all. GL brotha:cool:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Looks like a great project, and you can't beat rust free. These Novas are pretty light, so you don't really need a big motor to make them scoot.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all! I gotta ask though, for the V8 1st Gens with manual trans, do you have any issues with headers fitting? Do you HAVE to use the 8:00 o'clock fork position bell housing? Mine was a 3 on the tree, and I'm wondering if the original driveline will work with the later transmissions? Maybe the original was shorter?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts