Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for the backstory look at my bad lifter? post. Still do not know what the original problem is and now I have a new one. Pulled the dist. now how do I get it in time. Bumped it to compression on number 1, rotor is pointing at number 1 terminal, reading 4* advanced on timing mark, and it will not fire. What is going on here? Advancing the dist. all the way counterclockwise causes the car to fire and backfire through the carb. ***?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Try 10 degrees BEFORE TDC compression not 4 degrees after. Make sure you are on compression. It's easy to spin past compression.

Why did you pull out the distributor?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Did you remove the plug wires?

Do you have the plug wires back in proper order?

Clockwise, 18436572 ???

AL

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Pulled the dist. because I was trying to figure out what was causing it to run like crap and while I was at it decided to swap the POS perfomance parts intake for an Edelbrock performer RPM I picked up.It was only running before at 28* advanced. Is it possible the HEI dist. is bad? I do not know where else to turn. So two questions I guess. Why running so bad and out of time and how do I find time?Carb has gas. Wire is plugged in. Like I said fully advanced counterclockwise will fire and backfire through carb. Otherwise nothing.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Had a problem like that years ago from a new free HEI that my high school shop teacher gave me and that thing was cursed, i could never get it to run without a backfire from either end, i even ran just the housing and mixed in used parts, i tried everything, i ditched it and put a junkyard one in and i was roasting tires.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
check to see if the mechanical advance is working ............ with the motor off and cool take cap off with plug wires still attached ( so you dont get them crossed ) grab ahold of the rotor and see it has spring to it....... sound similiar to a problem i was having a while back :no: decided to go with a msd pro billet instead ......... just a suggestion :D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replys. I have replaced the capacitor, ECM, rotor, cap, and wires. I am really thinking it is a problem in the shaft. Looks like Jeg's will make some money tonight off me. If that does not fix the problem is it a valvetrain issue? Thanks guys for all the help. I really appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
its back firing through the carb you may still be off a tooth on the dizzy .......... does it back fire through the carb when you give it gas ? if so you may need to adjust the carb

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
ok so i looked through your thread about " lifter noise " when you bumped the motor over did you make sure your " valve springs " where working and none of them where " broken " ...... i know what your going to say " wouldnt the valve hit the piston " yes and no is the answer , a valvespring with a dampner is a safe bet that the valve wont hit the piston unless it breaks too then yes the valve would hit .......... anyways it sound to me like your off a tooth and like i said earlier i would check to make sure the rotor actually has spring to it ( mechanical advance mechanizim ) ill bet you shaft is frozen and so is the mechanical part of the distibuter too , meaning the weights and springs wont function properly thats why it sorta runs better when you advance it until it starts popin through the carb

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Makes sense what you are saying about the dizzy not working right on the advance. I lookrd pretty carefully at the valvetrain and it all looked as it should. The weights do spring back but I just think it is something in the distributor. Thanks, I am ordering one now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts