Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am debating picking up a 75 that has been in my family for 30 years. It's in ok shape. Was a manual car converted to auto.
I am thinking about drag racing it, some street use. Would be a turbo LS. I know, real original.

What are some things I need to look out for?
The rear is 8.5" correct?
I understand guys are going pretty quick with the leafs and trac bars and good shocks?
Most importantly,
Is it difficult to remove weight from the car? I do not want to hack it up or alter the appearance much, but a tubular front crossmember would be nice.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hey Leadneck, welcome to SNS. Looks like you have a plan for your '75 - that's certainly one of the first things you need.

I'm not the right person to answer your questions but while there are some of the right people watching and contributing to this section, I'd recommend opening a new thread in our Drag Racing Section, where you seem to be wanting to "go fast and straight" down that route. You might get additional like-minded eyes on your questions.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1975 will have the 8.5" axle. V* 350/4-speed manual or L6 250/3-speed manual will have 3.08 gears....everything else was 2.73.
I'd upgrade to at least 30 spline axles and some sort of traction differential.

There is a good amount of weight you can ditch in the bumper shock absorbers and bumper backer bars by building new light tube struts to replace the shocks and replacing the full length backer channel with just a small plate on the ends of the struts, and using just the chrome outer bumpers. Roughly 65 lbs at each end of the car.
Next would be fiberglass hood as the stock hood is pretty heavy, and if you want to do the effort to cut them out then the crash guard beams in the doors are some more free weight.
Manual steering box in place of power box and pump.
Manual brake mastr cylinder in place of vacuum power assisted brake booster and master cylinder.
Tubular A-arms with the stock subframe if you don't go to completely tubular subframe.
After that, losing more weight is going to mean losing something you may not want to lose... gut the interior, ditch the heater assembly, replace door, side, and back glass with lexan, gut the dash assembly....then more fiberglass replacement for bumpers, fenders, doors, trunk lid.
Aluminum heads, waterpump on traditional SBC, but LS already has those.

Mono leaf springs in place of factory4 or 5 leaf cuts weight and improves traction when used with Cal-Trac Bars or Smith Racecraft Assasin bars, or Competition Engineering Slide-a-Link's

·
Registered
258 Posts
I read Smokey Yunick’s book years ago, I only remember one point. Before you pickup the first wrench, do an honest appraisal about what you can AFFORD, and what you hope to accomplish. Where are you going to race your car and against who? If you’re going bracket racing, consistency is all that matters. This comes with making hundreds of runs, this is going to be much easier with a basically stock SBC, 13 second street car.
I can’t even comment on cutting up a car that’s been in the family for 30 years, you might want to think about that a little more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I dont want to cut it up. It's not in great shape but I dont want to ruin it by making it a drag only car.
I already did that once with a 3rd gen camaro. Supercharged 383 and was a monster but no longer a street car. I feel they make a better street pounder than a drag car. The neat thing about a turbo is it doesn't have to be a wild cam or stall, or super loud.
I did the fiberglass hood but it was a lift off and I'll never do that again. I would keep the hinged setup.

I did briefly read about the monoleaf and caltrac as I was concerned about a leaf setup hooking. Glad to hear it will work.

I'm not going to be serious about racing or consistency. I just want the thrill. I recently bought a cts-v after selling the camaro and it just isn't enough. Rather than beating on my daily driver, or pouring a bunch of money into it to make it fast AND reliable, I'd rather just build another car.

I have one of Smokey's books. Still relevant.

I would like this car to be one I hold on to and pass down to my boy, something fun to do on the weekends and help him learn.
Unfortunately it already has the back seats removed and a 4 pt cage installed. My cousin pulled it from the woods, cleaned it up and drove it with some racing. Drivetrain is long gone. That was almost 30 years ago.

·
Registered
258 Posts
It sounds like you already have plenty of racing experience, I guess I just misread your original post. The turbo forums.com has plenty of turbo builds and advice, I look over there occasionally. No doubt, that is the way for streetable, extreme level high performance. 👍

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,761 Posts
Hi there . . . . . . . and , WELCOME to SNS , glad too have you here

later , jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo forums is a great resource. Just after I built my sbc I found out about them. Kinda made me sick seeing guys turboing bone stock LS engines and making 800hp reliably.....
Now is a great time to get back into it. In 10 years it might not be the same. As fast as the world has been changing..........who knows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts