Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Welcome and like other, I LIKE your car. Relative to re-wiring. I suggest you give thought to what changes, additions you are going to make in near future. Additional wiring might be needed and it's easier/cleaner to do it at one time. Another thing I have found beneficial is to label the wires on originating and somewhere not too noticeable on the terminating end. That way, if there is a problem, tracing the wire is easy.

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
. . . . . . . . Hey Ugger . . . . . . . . Here's another Great Idea . . . . .

so, do you have a 'digital camera' . I save alot of "info = to my 'Nova Info' folder . But, then I have
had my computer . . . . . crash , and lost that info . ( Sometimes I even - - re-name some items . . .
that make easy finding . . . . . but makes , them totally lost - if I loose them . . would that make sense ).
What I'm saying . . . . . is . . . . . that I have lost many "pictures , also" . NOT anymore . . . . .
With Diana's "Digital camera " ; I just buy a Nova " SD Card " (just a smart card , that is only for my car pictures. As long as you keep those "sd cards " , you have your pictures .
Really great - if doing a build project . . . . . I never know when this comp. is going south .
So, I'm going too apply that too - - - - my saved Nova info . . . . . . . . . . and buy me a " Thumb - Drive "
too store my info . . . . (I need too be smarter than this 'tech - stuff ' ) .

just passing along - - - - - what may work , for you , down th' road .

. . . . jim
Good advice Jim, thanks.

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Welcome and like other, I LIKE your car. Relative to re-wiring. I suggest you give thought to what changes, additions you are going to make in near future. Additional wiring might be needed and it's easier/cleaner to do it at one time. Another thing I have found beneficial is to label the wires on originating and somewhere not too noticeable on the terminating end. That way, if there is a problem, tracing the wire is easy.
Thanks railroaderman! I like your suggestion about labeling the wires. I will have to put some thought into future changes before I start re-wiring the car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Congratulations on getting your Nova and welcome to the site. A nice addition to your car library would be getting a '71 Service Manual. Lots of good info. in there too.
Rudy

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Congratulations on getting your Nova and welcome to the site. A nice addition to your car library would be getting a '71 Service Manual. Lots of good info. in there too.
Rudy
Thanks Rudy, will do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hello all.

New owner of a beautiful 1971 Nova. The seller could not provide any significant details about the restoration so I'm learning about the car little by little. I have no experience with these cars so owning one should prove to be an adventure.

What I think I know:
Paint looks good with no obvious signs of significant rust. Interior is fair but needs some work.

Factory V8 engine: I don’t know anything about the current V8. I believe it is a 350 small block crate engine or rebuilt. I don’t know how to get that information. It has aluminum heads with a Victor Jr. intake, Holly 4-barrel carburetor, and a HEI distributor.

Factory automatic converted to a 4-speed manual transmission: The manual transmission appears to be a 1963 Muncie based on the casting numbers with Patent Pending. I assume it has been refurbished but don’t know. The Hurst shifter also appears to be an early 1960’s based on its markings. The shifter handle is bolted, so I think it is an aftermarket shifter. There is a small leak at the reverse linkage arm.

Factory air conditioning: The evaporator and associated tubing and electrical have been removed but part of the evaporator housing remains. The condenser is still in place but the tubing is cut. I’m not sure if I should restore the factory AC or remove what is left and just keep the heater components.

10 Bolt rear with disc brakes up front and drum in the rear. Air shocks in the rear. They seem to hold air but the car sits lower on the driver side.

Steering has some play but also feels hypersensitive to me.

The wiring is an absolute mess. I’m thinking about ordering the American Autowire Classic Upgrade Kit and installing it over the winter.

I will have many questions but the first is which manual should I purchase? I see factory assembly manuals, repair manuals, service manuals, etc. Thanks!

View attachment 412290
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase! The car looks great!. They all need work, and I've learned are never really "done", but a continuous project. Have fun and ask questions. There are some tremendously sharp guys on this site, and the advice given is usually spot on!

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase! The car looks great!. They all need work, and I've learned are never really "done", but a continuous project. Have fun and ask questions. There are some tremendously sharp guys on this site, and the advice given is usually spot on!
Thanks for the kind words Bob. I’m beginning to realize what you are saying is true. It is an adventure I’m ready for.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts