Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

New owner of a beautiful 1971 Nova. The seller could not provide any significant details about the restoration so I'm learning about the car little by little. I have no experience with these cars so owning one should prove to be an adventure.

What I think I know:
Paint looks good with no obvious signs of significant rust. Interior is fair but needs some work.

Factory V8 engine: I don’t know anything about the current V8. I believe it is a 350 small block crate engine or rebuilt. I don’t know how to get that information. It has aluminum heads with a Victor Jr. intake, Holly 4-barrel carburetor, and a HEI distributor.

Factory automatic converted to a 4-speed manual transmission: The manual transmission appears to be a 1963 Muncie based on the casting numbers with Patent Pending. I assume it has been refurbished but don’t know. The Hurst shifter also appears to be an early 1960’s based on its markings. The shifter handle is bolted, so I think it is an aftermarket shifter. There is a small leak at the reverse linkage arm.

Factory air conditioning: The evaporator and associated tubing and electrical have been removed but part of the evaporator housing remains. The condenser is still in place but the tubing is cut. I’m not sure if I should restore the factory AC or remove what is left and just keep the heater components.

10 Bolt rear with disc brakes up front and drum in the rear. Air shocks in the rear. They seem to hold air but the car sits lower on the driver side.

Steering has some play but also feels hypersensitive to me.

The wiring is an absolute mess. I’m thinking about ordering the American Autowire Classic Upgrade Kit and installing it over the winter.

I will have many questions but the first is which manual should I purchase? I see factory assembly manuals, repair manuals, service manuals, etc. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
253 Posts
Welcome. You’ll find lots of info here. The assembly manual will be helpful to get started.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,859 Posts
WELCOME to SNS . . . . . and, a very Nice looking Nova you have .
Plus , kinda like the more you post up the better the 'site gets' . . . . as far as finding items , and
info .
Thanks for posting up your pictures (they work & look good - - just 'feed-back' , for you ) .
The same style as my 69 . . . . . with those "side moldings - trim" . . . (but, I don't have the door chrome) .

Maybe . . . . consider , listing your "City & State" . . . . . (u can read FAQ . . . SNS = 'Site News' -
"installing info under your Avatar " . (just a thought ) . . . @ top of the "sections" .

Also , check out = NovaResource . . . . . . (click / mouse over the top area) . . .
My vote is as "Nova Thug" . . says , buy a " Factory Assembly Manual" for your
year Nova . . . . . check it out . . . . . then, decide on your a/c .

later , jim

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WELCOME to SNS . . . . . and, a very Nice looking Nova you have .
Plus , kinda like the more you post up the better the 'site gets' . . . . as far as finding items , and
info .
Thanks for posting up your pictures (they work & look good - - just 'feed-back' , for you ) .
The same style as my 69 . . . . . with those "side moldings - trim" . . . (but, I don't have the door chrome) .

Maybe . . . . consider , listing your "City & State" . . . . . (u can read FAQ . . . SNS = 'Site News' -
"installing info under your Avatar " . (just a thought ) . . . @ top of the "sections" .

Also , check out = NovaResource . . . . . . (click / mouse over the top area) . . .
My vote is as "Nova Thug" . . says , buy a " Factory Assembly Manual" for your
year Nova . . . . . check it out . . . . . then, decide on your a/c .

later , jim
Thanks for the kind words and feedback Twinshadows. My city, state should be visible now...
Pmotion also recommended the factory assembly manual, so that's where I'll start.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,608 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site! That's a good looking Nova (y)
There is a lot of useful information available on this site by using the "search" function... and feel free to also ask any questions that may come up. Lots of helpful members here.

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
526 Posts
Welcome and nice car! As stated earlier, the assembly manual is a great start as well as this site.

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello and welcome to the site! That's a good looking Nova (y)
There is a lot of useful information available on this site by using the "search" function... and feel free to also ask any questions that may come up. Lots of helpful members here.
Thanks RifRaf! I already have a bunch of questions but want to look for the answers here before I ask.

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome and nice car! As stated earlier, the assembly manual is a great start as well as this site.
Thanks CEW! I'm working on ordering the assembly manual now. Is there a difference between these two? The manual with the red cover is a "reprint" ...

·
13,997 Posts
Welcome to the site, Ugger. Lots of knowledge and information here at SNS. I might also suggest the link below to the 1971 Nova info on the GM Heritage Center Site. Scroll down, as first page is blank. Also, www.novaresource.org. There are a few errors on this site, but generally it's a good Nova information center.

pages (gmheritagecenter.com)

Bob

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the site, Ugger. Lots of knowledge and information here at SNS. I might also suggest the link below to the 1971 Nova info on the GM Heritage Center Site. Scroll down, as first page is blank. Also, www.novaresource.org. There are a few errors on this site, but generally it's a good Nova information center.

pages (gmheritagecenter.com)

Bob
Thanks for the links Bob, I will take a look.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
Thanks CEW! I'm working on ordering the assembly manual now. Is there a difference between these two? The manual with the red cover is a "reprint" ...
View attachment 412311 View attachment 412312

well , I bought two ' FAM's ' . . . . . ALL of THEM are copies (Reprints) . . of copies . . of copies . . of copies .
with that said . . . some pages ARE Better than others (but , most (books) are similar .
And , here's my "Difference" . . . . kinda look at those ' pictures ' . . . . of my two books = they were
different ; one was a "bound book" & the other book was "loose pages " (you would need a 'folder' ) .
. . . . Which I had . . . . I have one in the house (next too my computer ) . . . the (folder) one out in the shop.
Other than that . . . . they are much the same - - - - same info between each book , and , about $ 20 =
to $ 25 dollars . . each . (I think mine - - are like - - the red - one ) .
Also , buy you a (thick) Mead spiral notebook - - - - I write alot of good (3rd gen ) info down . . . .
Searching on SNS is very Good . . . . but , searching my "note-book" is good too .
Like - there's alot of info . . . 'in the Originality Section (up at the 'top Sticky' area . . . . . . . . . . the " WEB LINK LIBARAY. .
But , Now
alot of that info IS Gone (it's " Out-Dated " and, has timed out . . . . you can't see those pages , anymore .

Bottom line - - - either FAM is good too buy (same basic books) , may be just different "bindings"

again , glad to have you here . . . . . jim

·
Registered
1971 Nova
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well , I bought two ' FAM's ' . . . . . ALL of THEM are copies (Reprints) . . of copies . . of copies . . of copies .
with that said . . . some pages ARE Better than others (but , most (books) are similar .
And , here's my "Difference" . . . . kinda look at those ' pictures ' . . . . of my two books = they were
different ; one was a "bound book" & the other book was "loose pages " (you would need a 'folder' ) .
. . . . Which I had . . . . I have one in the house (next too my computer ) . . . the (folder) one out in the shop.
Other than that . . . . they are much the same - - - - same info between each book , and , about $ 20 =
to $ 25 dollars . . each . (I think mine - - are like - - the red - one ) .
Also , buy you a (thick) Mead spiral notebook - - - - I write alot of good (3rd gen ) info down . . . .
Searching on SNS is very Good . . . . but , searching my "note-book" is good too .
Like - there's alot of info . . . 'in the Originality Section (up at the 'top Sticky' area . . . . . . . . . . the " WEB LINK LIBARAY. .
But , Now
alot of that info IS Gone (it's " Out-Dated " and, has timed out . . . . you can't see those pages , anymore .

Bottom line - - - either FAM is good too buy (same basic books) , may be just different "bindings"

again , glad to have you here . . . . . jim
Wow Jim, this is exactly the information I was hoping for. Thanks for taking the time to write this out!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
it's SNS = NPHNP . . . . . .

you're welcome . . . . . . just . . . . . . " Pay IT FORWARD " . . . . . . . . ' simple ' .

. . . . jim

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
. . . . . . . . Hey Ugger . . . . . . . . Here's another Great Idea . . . . .

so, do you have a 'digital camera' . I save alot of "info = to my 'Nova Info' folder . But, then I have
had my computer . . . . . crash , and lost that info . ( Sometimes I even - - re-name some items . . .
that make easy finding . . . . . but makes , them totally lost - if I loose them . . would that make sense ).
What I'm saying . . . . . is . . . . . that I have lost many "pictures , also" . NOT anymore . . . . .
With Diana's "Digital camera " ; I just buy a Nova " SD Card " (just a smart card , that is only for my car pictures. As long as you keep those "sd cards " , you have your pictures .
Really great - if doing a build project . . . . . I never know when this comp. is going south .
So, I'm going too apply that too - - - - my saved Nova info . . . . . . . . . . and buy me a " Thumb - Drive "
too store my info . . . . (I need too be smarter than this 'tech - stuff ' ) .

just passing along - - - - - what may work , for you , down th' road .

. . . . jim

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
526 Posts
View attachment 412311 View attachment 412312
The one on the left is similar to the one I bought. Keep in mind, like Jim said, these books are reprints of reprints of reprints.... so some of the info may be hard to see/read but it is still better than nothing.

Here is a link to the best price I found for my FAIM... 1971 CHEVROLET NOVA 5.7L 350cid V8 Factory Assembly Manual | RockAuto

1 - 20 of 32 Posts