Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, welp im the new owner of a 73 Nova SS and boy do I have some work ahead of me thanks to James:) . This is my first project and have never put a car together before. Took Automotive 1,2 and 3 in highschool but that isnt going to help me much here at all. I will post pics as soon as I can. But until then there isnt a lot of body work that needs to be done. The body is straight and primer grey. Interior is stripped out, no motor or tranny. Tell you the truth, Im not sure of where to start:confused: ! I really want to learn how to do this but just dont have much knowledge about it. I want to do most of the work that I can to save money and what I cant do I have my neighbor that I trust he can do the rest. Assembly Manuel would help me out a lot right now, especially with the interior. Advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
welcome to the site! sounds like a good procject car. ive never had a 73-74 nova so not sure what help i can be. good look and look forward to pics and updates!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is what she looks like at the moment

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If you have the space to work on it, finish the paint. Body looks pretty straight in the photos, but run a magnet over the normally rusty areas to check for bondo. If you don't care that much and are on a budget, try to strike a deal with a local shop for a paint job. Have them paint the door, trunk and hood jambs too. Then look for a good parts car and start swapping stuff over.

Just make sure the hood and fenders are correct for 73-4 and pre-fit all body parts before you have them painted.

Just my $.02. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not much rust on the car at all. I dont need a parts car. I Basically have everything to put it back together. Interior wise, I have Seats, dash etc. Going to buy a lot of new parts for the interior. Which is going to be my hardest objective I think. The front floor pans are the first thing I think im going to work on. Few small rust holes here and there which I dont think you can even see them in the pics. But thats her, waiting to be able to ride the roads again :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the welcome big dog ss. Thanks for the reply Novajay. Yea I have a guy that painted a 2 tone 86 Silverado for me and done a great job. He was suppose to come over yesterday to tell me how much he would charge me to paint it when I get ready, but he didnt show up:mad:. But I think im just going to wait on the paint job until I do some sandblasting and undercoating.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Welcome to the site! :)

Nice to see another 73 with a future!! :D

If you didn't know 73 and 74 are unique - makes finding some parts a bit tricky.

Looks like a pretty straight unit from the pics. Enjoy :D

Richard

·
Registered
442 Posts
Looks like a nice ride!! Just remember they all can be put back together.
There's mone than enough people here to help ya. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks guys, Trust me im going to be asking some questions lol. Yea I have some catalogs and I see Im going to have some trouble finding "some" parts for it but its all good. Im going to post updates and pics after I get done with a job so yall can tell me how much I screwed it up:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi and good luck! As Novajay said hope you have indoor space to work on her.
I would fit doors and all body panels to get started and see what they need as for alignment and any sags or what ever.Would also fit the drive train in first.Then take apart to do your paint work.Just ask for our help.
Tommieb

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good ideas, get me some good practice this easter weekend. Space will not be a issue in about a month or so. Its sitting under my old tobacco barn right now. We have an old store (use to be a beer joint back in its day) that my grand dad built and it has more than enough room but I have to wait to move some stuff out of there first:rolleyes: Hope everyone has a good Easter weekend!

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
gman73

I was in your shoes about a year ago. I didn't know anything, I guess I knew the theory but had never done anything except replace an alternator before.

I couldn't imagine getting the old engine out.....bought a hoist, read stuff on the internet, took out all the bolts that looked like they were holding the engine down.....and wattaayknow! I got the engine out.

I was already happy, I was sure I wasn't going to be able to get my new engine and tranny together or installed.....but you guessed it....a few months into the winter...the garage heater seemed to be blowing just right...so I grabbe a friend, and in she went!!

Then I figured it would never really run.....and two weekends ago she left the garage for the first time on her own power!

So if I can do it, you can definitly do it, as long as you enjoy puzzles even the frsutrating parts. You'll love it, and time will fly, and you'll be happy just with the journey alone, not to mention your cool car. But I hope you're ready to flush money down the toilet and your not married!! those are both obstacles to a project like this!:D

Good luck, I couldn't have finished mine without help from this site, so you've come to the right place!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks NovaNate, I have already learned a lot of stuff from this site. Ill probably be like you, ill probably be the happiest guy in the world once I finish one small goal for the car. Really glad I found this forum. Congrats on your finish.

·
Registered
67 Posts
We will be taking a million pics of our 73 during dissasembly. If you need any when you assemble yours, let us know.
The girls

1 - 15 of 15 Posts