Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have been lurking around this site for a few years. Basically just being a Joe Dirt-looking at cars for sale and wishing/wanting-until yesterday. I bought a 1972 Nova roller from a guy in Alabama(I’m in Georgia). It needs a good bit of work and I was curious what kind of books there are that label every little bolt and bracket for assembly. Kind of like the diagrams for appliances when you are looking for a specific piece for your ice maker or whatever-if that makes sense.

Just want to give a big thank you to every member on here who takes the time to help out other people with the same hobby/habit/obsession/money pit.

Dru from GA

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I’m sorry I should be more clear-mainly all the under the hood stuff. Not the actual internals of the motor or anything, but just all the bracketry and bolts etc

·
6,502 Posts
I would get these three manuals for your year car.

1.. AIM (Assembly Installation Manual) which has mostly drawings of the different area's on the car as to how it was assembled. This manual normally is a reprint of a reprint of a reprint and while not the best it will help you out a ton. I know on my 68, I had "thought" it took certain hose clamps in certain area's only to find out what was in kits were not 100% accurate. I also used mine a lot being my car is a 6 cylinder and someone had removed the AIR pump and wanted to put it back on the car but there was hardly ANY pictures or info out there on the internet and the AIM was VERY helpful.

2. Body by Fisher Service Manual. This book will also be of help with things but mostly concerning the body of the car like window mechanism's, trunk locks, interior assembly, and so on.

3. Chassis Service Manual. This is more of the mechanical aspects for rebuilding the motor, transmission, rear axle, suspension, and such.

I bought the 3 book set for my 68 from Classic Industries

While these books might not cover every little nuance, they will be a big help once you get them and use them.

Jim

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Welcome to SNS . . . glad too have you join - in . By Far = the best Nova Site going ; for both
"Info & Nova People" . . . . . . thus = NPHNP .
Then, another 3rd gen (I really like them ALL ) ; and, now everyone will say - - "Post some Pictures"
of your 72 .

Here ya go : really easy here on SNS too post - up any pictures ;

Look at the bottom edge of this "post box = look at the icons" .
look at the =
1. - paper clip
2. - the chain links
3. - the mountains & sun
4. - the camera image
5. - the Smiley face
6. - . . . . " insert"

Choose # 3 . . . that's the camera - for posting pictures (drag & drop image ) .
very easy to do .

Find any picture - - I just drag a pic from my desk top (or my hosting site - I use Flickr.com) .

Good "lurking" Joe Dirt . . . . .
lol

again , Welcome Dru

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Dru , also = just FYI
when I bought my ' AIM ' . . . . (I bought two = from different companies) . . . . the may come
as a book - - like a " bound catalog " ; then, the second one was a " loose - leaf " type (meaning
you need a folder to put it in ) ....................... just FYI .
Then, as Jim said above - - - they are copies of copies (showing some pages better than others) .
Still VERY much worth having (my reason for two AIM's . . . one out in the shop & one
in the house) . The AIM even shows Most of the "Factory Part Numbers" listed . . . . in case
your car has anything 'special' = RPO codes .
Then, write down u'r (all) cowl numbers & engine ID numbers . . . . go over here & look em up .

Really good info over there . . . have fun

jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The last one is of my two helpers. “Helpers” lol

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is literally no rust on the front end, cowl or firewall. I don’t think the quarters need replacing, but the wheel arches, rockers, and trunk will need some work. Cheers to learning how to weld!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Welcome. Gradulations on your purchase. Looks like a good base to start building "your" car. Enjoy the journey and take pictures as you go. Be worth a lot later, especially for those helpers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just try to fix the rust, get an interior and drivetrain in and start enjoying it. Paint or vinyl wrap as well. All that will take long enough lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts