Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 71 Nova SS clone 350 muncie 4 speed from a previous owner 2 months ago..He said it was a fairly new rebuild with a new clutch (hes a believeable seller)
He pointed out drops of oil from tailshaft bearing asssy when buying.
And I do notice gear oil on my garage floor..so i keep a cardboard piece to see how much is leaking.Leak seems to come and go!
Sound familiar to anyone?

Anyways, just for my wallets sake, what are the symtoms of too low oil in case to cause harm to tranny.. Or is there no warnings?:(
Wont be able to put oil in till my back gets better but daughter needs it to go to school once in awhile..Thoughts? Opinions please?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Tranny

Best bet is to fix the leak, possable seal or worn yoke. If its just a drop hear and there it would take a long time to lower the leval enough to ruin the tranny. I'd check level as soon as you can, just to make shure. Might be a good time to teach your daughter a little about auto maintance, lol, Good luck

·
Registered
323 Posts
There is also a bushing just inside the tail shaft that can cause the yoke to be slightly off and cause a small leak. I still have a drop here and there from my professionally rebuilt rearend yoke and the tail shaft of my m-21. These old cars just leak.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
A little bit of gear lube goes a long way on the ground. You could always go to one of the local quick oil change places and have them check it. Most of the places have at least one old car guy there that can be trusted to check the oil level in a Muncie transmission.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah- guesss the lube guys will get it..

And the shop will fix it when something else goes too..:rolleyes:
Now which oil to add ..80-90 M 4 or 5?

So i would definetly know if it were TOO low huh?:eek:

·
Registered
798 Posts
For oil use ONLY GM oil part #89021672 and your tranny will love it.It's 80-90 axle lube and GL-4 only.I would drain whatever is in there and refill with the GM product.My old M20 and current Auto Gear M22 shift significantly smoother with this stuff.For sure don't use synthetic.Way too slippery for the synchro rings to work properly and some other types of oil have additives that will supposedly attack the non-steel parts in the trans.I tried a few different fluids before I heard about this stuff and from personal experience I know this works the best.Pull the level plug first chance you have and verify it's full.You may not have any symptoms to indicate low oil but it's a tranny killer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder..

if the case was overfilled when rebuilt..thus the leak-then no leak situation..
Would that be a possibility??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts