Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a new 63 4 door for my son. Got it from the second owner. The car has lived its whole life less than an hour from my house.

Body is very straight, only one small dent. Has one a little rust hole in the passenger 1/4. It was originally marina blue (repainted in the late 80s). All the glass is perfect. Bumpers still have good, driver quality, chrome & trim is all there & pretty dang straight.

The interior is super nice. Original door cards & paint. New seat covers, carpet, oem style floor mats & headliner.

The 194 & 3 speed have both been rebuilt. Drives nice for a chevy II.

He has already made his color choice (65 Danube blue).

Been having fun pulling it apart getting ready for body work.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
motor swap??

Doing the body work first.. Then, drive train.

Got a 700r4 to go in it.

Trying to decide if we want to drop a nice 4.3 TBI motor (that I already have) in it, or keep the 194. I like the idea of him having fuel injection with a little better HP.

He doesn't need big HP. Just needs a solid, reliable, daily driver. Decent MPG would be a plus.

Not going LS before anyone suggests that :rolleyes:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not going LS before anyone suggests that :rolleyes:
HA! Hilarious. Props on getting that out in the open before the suggestions came pouring in.

I started my driving life with a 66 with a 230 and a 3 speed. Family car, definitely a driver and nothing special, except to me...

High School me of course needed more power and speed and swapped a small block. Really glad I had a few years of driving it as a 230 car first though or I'm sure there would have been pretty serious consequences of a teen with all that power...

·
3,266 Posts
Love that car. I know most would scrap the original drivetrain, but I wouldn't. Rear antenna and 14's with Impala caps is kind of a high-end Nova for '63, and it looks like a good way to go, either as a runner or a solid starter project. Nice get.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
That's a really nice find, Smitz. I hope your son appreciates what you've done for him!

There's a very similar one (different interior) that's 99.9% perfect just a few miles from me. Belonged to a friend who passed away last year. So far, his widow hasn't said anything about selling his cars, but I can't see her keeping them. I'll be very tempted if it comes to market, but I'd have to find my magic wand to create a parking place for it...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
That’s a pretty sweet sedan..:yes:

I had a guy offer me a 64 sedan this week but he didn’t mention any details about it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were glad to find it.. bought another 4 door about a year ago. Put rear quarters & driver floor pans in. Still had miles to go on that one. Time vs money we are way ahead on this one.

My son (14) is very grateful, & has plans to pay back half of the build cost when he can. Right now, I'm not worried about that. Just happy to be building a car with him. I learned a lot from building my first 62, 20-some odd years ago with my dad.

I told him there would be times he would hate the car & times he might hate me while we are working on it. That's all part of the experience. He was struggling with some of the molding clips yesterday & I just smiled & waited for him to figure it out. He got it :yes: Nothing builds patience & character more than pulling parts that you cant afford to replace :D

I was so proud when he wanted to get a classic car, specifically a first gen nova. We talked about the fact that, dollar for dollar, we could buy a nice late model driver & be done. He said that would be no fun & he would look like everyone else in the parking lot. (he's just like his old man) I was also happy when he wanted a 4 door (cause it is a little easier on my wallet)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nice story/car. I did a similar thing with my son after brain surgery. Finished the car to make it roadworthy and then he split. Car has been here since. I pray what happened to me doesn't happen to you.
All the best

1 - 20 of 45 Posts