Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to forms, so hopefully I'll figure out how to know when I receive a comment and how to comment back.

I have a 1963 Chevy II, 4-dr sedan, automatic with 194CI. Bought it in March 2017 with 21,400 miles, had the original bias ply tires and original brake pads.
Before picking it up I had a local Chevy dealership mechanic check it over and change fluids, replaced radiator, install new radial tires, install Pertronic ignition. I tried to prepare it for a drive.
After picking up the car and leaving town to drive to Tacoma WA, 50 miles out of town, stripped multiple teeth on the fiber timing gear. Then towed back to town.
3 days later with a new aluminum cam gear and steel crank gear installed headed back out of town towards Tacoma.
2300 miles later arrived in Tacoma. Added 1 quart of oil at that 2300 mile mark. I was very happy on the oil usage. But, the car didn't idle quite right but did OK on the highway
The car is now home. I rebuilt the carb, a single barrel Rochester, it did need it considerable crude in it. That helped on starting and the car now idles nicely if vacuum advance is unhooked and plugged. But the engine hesitates when giving fairly quick throttle and with vacuum advance hooked up I get a fairly even 'popping' from the exhaust. Idles better with no vacuum advance hooked in.

When timing, this engine times on #5 cylinder. This has me baffled and I'm wondering how or why it is this way. Using a vacuum gauge only to time, hooked at the base of the carb just above the intake manifold, I get 21" plus of very steady vacuum when idling. When I then use the timing light to check, the timing mark is right in the 6 to 12 degree BTDC range. So things seem to all be good. I currently have it timed at 7 BTDC.

BUT, why is this engine timing on #5 cylinder and I'm also not sure why I get hesitation when giving throttle? Something to do with the new timing gears?
Maybe two different issues, maybe not. That is why I am reaching out, to see if someone might know.
Thanks for any help that you may be able to provide.

I know that I'll have other questions in the future, just don't know what they are yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome to the community. I must def the engine answers to someone more educated on the ways of carborators. They were my dads way of life. I have never had a car with one before.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,600 Posts
Welcome to the site!
A hesitation when you hit the gas pedal usually points to an issue with he accelerator pump circuit in the carb... and/or the timing may be too retarded.
Hopefully, someone with more knowledge of the earlier year Novas will respond to your questions related to the carb and timing.

P.S. That's a very clean looking early Nova!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,849 Posts
"
When timing, this engine times on #5 cylinder. This has me baffled and I'm wondering how or why it is this way. "

You ARE correct .... timing should not / is not on #5 .

ok --- if it's showing on #5 : then check your "crank pulley (damper)" .
my 1st thought is that may be your outer ring of your crank pulley --
has spun or shifted on the rubber insert. Just a guess ... but worth checking. Then, next step would be too remove your 'valve cover' -- make sure you turn the motor until both # 1 cylinder valves are closed (with the #1 piston at the top, pull the #1 spark plug).

THEN -- CHECK YOUR Timing Marks ....

the crank pulley is 'keyed on the crank shaft .. (the center part) .. but, the "outer ring may have slipped" ....... worth checking.

Just changing / installing NEW Cam gears ... shouldn't change your timing (basicly). Meaning -- that if the "cam gear or crank gear" was wrong ------------------- your engine Would NOT Run ---------------- you would have never made it home .... (plus, they have slots & keys).

The cam & crank could be a notch off , but , you should be able too see/hear that, also ........ it would be running bad.

does that make sense ....

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,849 Posts
and .............. WELCOME to SNS

nice looking 1st gen

(ps -- you may want to go to the correct section , and post your ?'s there ... just FYI ).

............. jim

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Normally timing is done by attaching the timing light to the #1 cylinder, which is closes to the radiator.

Timing is usually best at 4 degrees before top deal center, but it varies, depending on that particular engine.

I have used "zero" with a points system; "4" with a GM HEI; and "12"
with my current mini electronic distributor.

The firing order for plug wiring is 1-5-3-6-2-4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am new to forums so, may be replying in the wrong place right now.

So, now how do I go about asking my timing and throttle hesitation questions in the proper place?
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
welcome to the nova site. so you bought the nova in alaska an drove it down to tacoma on 56 year old tires, 2300 miles. that sure says something about the quality of tires years ago. a very nice looking nova with some low miles on it.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! Wondering what you were doing in Fairbanks? Bought the car there? I'm originally from Seward, left when I was 7, and now at 71, have never gotten back. I'm sure that I don't know what I'm missing. Good luck in getting your ignition, carburetor sorted out. Good advice from Jim; he has one of his own.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts