Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
291 Posts
A small picture from the inside (before tearing everything apart to start the war against the good ol rust) , tiltable steering column is a big plus for me. Custom Tach, that looks quite ugly (not my taste at least xd). Later on I have to think about what I want to do with the middle console, probably deleting it, the "extra gauges" too. Because I was thinking about installing a Dakota Digital Tach, if someone has experience with them please share! I hope the conversion gets allowed by German Tuv, because there is a regulation that states: "Only cars with upgrades that were possible during the era of the car (which means +- 10 years of production) are allowed to get a historical vehicle license plate."
So I need to find out when Dakota Digital started producing their stuff, I believe it was something around 1986, again if someone has knowledge about that please share!
Woah, those are some strict rules! How close of attention do they pay? How is the possible vintage of everything proven/challenged?
In most of the US, the individual states don’t care about older cars much. Pretty much anything goes. The few rules that pertain, aside from the most obvious like seat belts(if factory and such) are overlooked or ignored by enthusiasts and the law. Unless you are driving like an “a”hole.
What happens if you don’t have the classic plates?
I didn’t see you mention what 5 speed was in there. Did I miss that?
It’s cool to see a Nova from across the seas! Keep up the good work!

· Registered
1971 Chevrolet Nova 350/350
291 Posts
Quote:
“I searched around on my transmission and found some numbers: 13-52-065-914 . I googled around, so it´s a manual 5-speed borg warner, which was originally built for Camaros/ Firebirds from 88-92, mine says 89 on it.
Any opinion or experience about this trans?”

Sounds like a Borg Warner T5 World Class. I believe that version is rated for 300 lb ft of torque stock. Not a bad transmission for what it was originally used for, although in the Camaro and Firebirds it was only used with the lower powered 305s, never the 350. A lot of people say they’re terrible, some people say if you treat them ok they’ll hold up in a mild performance street application. I would say just drive it with a little caution and if it breaks, toss it and put a TKX in. They can be built stronger, but that would not be the best way to spend your transmission money, as it still wouldn’t compare to a Tremec TKX in any way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts