Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I just bought a '77 Nova. It was raining REALLY hard. The guy handed us a bunch of papers and like an idiot I assumed it was a title and bill of sale. It wasn't until I got home that I realized the papers were junk, no title or BoS. I contacted the seller and they said they would meet me and give me the BoS. So I drove the distance and they never showed up.

I tried to contact them but they never answer, I tried phone, address, Facebook, police and DMV. The police and DMV say I am SoL. The apartment they lived at is now empty.

Does anyone have an idea on what I should do? Police checked the VIN# and it doesn't show up stolen.

Any suggestions short of scrapping the car?

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
Oh boy....not a happy ending at all! What a POS person you dealt with!!!

I would think a bonded title would be your only hope at this point.

BTW, welcome to the site and glad to have you!

Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
As always don't dump a lot of time and money into the car until you have a title in hand.

Registered
Look into a lien sale.

My buddy did that when he bought an old truck with no title.

Rob

Registered
In Michigan you can apply for a new title. It does cost money. What state do you live in? I'm sure someone here has gone through it and can help.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
In Michigan you can apply for a new title. It does cost money. What state do you live in? I'm sure someone here has gone through it and can help.
We live in Missouri. DMV said only original car owners can apply for a title.

Registered
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! :horse: Pics? I've always believed that it's OK to make a mistake as long as you learn from it. Hope it turns out OK for you.

Registered
I am looking into that as well.
The bonded title and lien sale avenues are two ways to go. If you have any family or friends in the car business like buying and selling used cars they are usually pretty familiar with the options and process to getting these things straightened out. Also, a car registration business not the Auto Club or DMV but an independent shop.. These people deal with this stuff all the time..

Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
Welcome to the site!
Sorry to hear about the paperwork issues. Please keep us posted how things work out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts