Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

This is Mojan from Fremont CA. I owned a 70 MG Midget and right now I have a 64 VW bug that I’m selling it. I’m not a mechanic but I take care of my cars. Now I’m tired of driving manual and I like to buy a automatic Nova. I have been searching on Craigslist ... here is what I have found so far which is close to me. What you think? Is it hard and costly If I want to bring the car to the original hight? Please give your recommendations.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/el-cerrito-1963-nova/6806460867.html

Keep in mind that I like stock cars.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
welcome to the nova site. its a nice looking 63. my self id just drive it the heighth it is at, its only 2'' lower. it does still have the 4 lug drums still an with 13'' wheels that makes it a bit hard for tires. the body looks real good an thats the hardest thing to fix. i also like those early 60's VW's.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Welcome Mojan. Looks good in pictures but would check it out closely for hidden rust. I would ask the owner if he saved the factory parts when he lowered it. If he did it would just be a matter of swapping them out.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
:waving:Welcome from Wisconsin! :horse: Pics?

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts
Welcome.

You're up on a great site with a lot of experienced Nova guys. Glad you asked the question.

Just my opinion, I'd wait, especially if you are not mechanically inclined. There have been a number of very stock, original Novas that have come up recently that have been good buys. Not to say that car isn't, but why not get one closer to stock, if that's what you want, right from the start?

Also, I'll strongly second the opinion that the body is the most difficult and most expensive thing to get right. Buy something that hasn't been in an accident (at least not a big one) and has little or no rust, or your experience will either be a rough one, or an expensive one, or both.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site :waving: I think if you are not going to work on it ? Then just get one that is done and how you like it :yes: but that is just my :2cents::stir:

·
Registered
1963 Hardtop W.I.P.
128 Posts
I was looking at that one when I bought mine. It was a little out of my price range. Also had a 63 VW ragtop(sunroof) in HS, never got it to running.

Lowering blocks in the back should be pretty easy to remove. But to change the front you'll, most likely, need stock spindles (pretty cheap, maybe free from someone friendly) and a little mechanical know how to swap them out.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
welcome to the forum ....

as many have expressed and mentioned, it just falls down on your skill level ( at what your willing to do ) or it ll cost a bit of coin with someone else doing the work

the car looks solid, but it seems that it has been thru some conversation(s) already ( as it have been lower ). i would pass on this one, imo because of the work involved ( and reading about your mechanic skills )

they have plenty of them out there, in varies stages of progress ( as in projects, original rides, and redone vehicles ).

another one would be, what year or body style or you looking for ( 2dr, 4dr, wagon, hatchback :rolleyes: )

·
Super Moderator
3,879 Posts
There have been a number of NICE 4-door Novas or Chevy II cars, first generation, in the neighborhood of $8K-$12K lately seen or linked here on site, runners that needed very little to enjoy right now. Bone stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts