Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member here with at 1963 nova post car, I’ve been looking for a while but this is my first post. In the middle of rebuilding my 350 would love some advice on a 383 stroker kit. I was hoping to get somewhere around 300 hp. Short term plan is to get the car on the road, long-term plan would be a full restoration. I’ve already done stock suspension rebuild on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
That's a good looking post car...looks pretty straight. Already 5 lug too, so that helps.

300 horses out of a 350 is not hard at all without the stroker kit; 350/300 Chevrolets were commonplace for a number of years from the factory on pump gas with a 4 barrel carb. If 300 HP is your target, then the 350 could do; if you want more and are going to build a 383 for it, I think most guys would tell you you'll need suspension upgrades to go with it, and there are tons of options.

Looks like you've got a very nice starter. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks AllyMcReal, I think it’s a nice car too. It’s pretty solid, with very Little Rot in the rear quarters and one spot on the driver side a pillar that I’m going to have to address at some point. Yesterday I got the rest of the motor torn down, and since I have off Monday I will be bringing the motor to the machine shop. So I was going to talk to them about the best way to get that 300 horse power. I’ve done just about everything else on a car except rebuild the engine, transmission, or rear end. So this is new territory for me. Also I am planning on upgrading the suspension all the way around. I was looking at TCI’s torque suspension for the rear and church boys suspension for the front using my stock front clip. I’m just getting the car roadworthy now so I can use it, while a squirrel away the parts I want for the car. Thanks for responding by the way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice car man,
Looks a lot like my neighbors car!
Here he is roasting em.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Any updates on the engine build? Stock... stroker... Super charger??? Must tell more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still waiting to hear back from the machine shop bibm5, But it would be no difference In assembly to build a 383 as it would to put together the stock 350 other than the parts. But the process is the same.But not sure of anything until I hear back from the machine shop.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
I like it --- plain & simple

(kinda like my ol' 69 -- plain - jane car ....... BUT ....... solid)

Don't get me wrong , there are many a Very Nice Nova's on Here ...... all years, and look great ......:yes:

my car just ain't one-of 'em ......... but, a very solid car, still the same

and, all mine .... :thumbsup:

:welcome: to SNS , have fun .........

:waving:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello everyone, looking for some help finding the right set of headers. I have 63 nova with the stock front end with a 350. It is an automatic right now, but I plan on finding T5 for the car since it still has the clutch pedal and I’m going to use a McLeod hydraulic conversion kit. Also I have a manual steering at the moment but I am planning to put power rack and Pinion steering in it. I am getting V-8 motor mounts from Chevy2only as well. Can anyone suggest headers that will fit this configuration?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update, engine is back from the machine shop and over the weekend with the help of a friend, the lower end was installed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Looking at your engine photos, it appears the 350 had already been converted to a front sump oil pickup to accommodate the stock front suspension. Did you have your block converted to a 383? There has been much discussion on SNS about the problem with the last rod on the crankshaft hitting the high volume output oil pump used on 350 engines. If you built your engine to a 383 how did you deal with the rod hitting the oil pump issue? I thought about the 383 conversion but decided against it since I wanted to stay with the original steering linkage and sector. Just wondering.

Btw, I'm located between Macon and Brunswick on the Golden Isles Parkway.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts