Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
i am a new member from London, UK... have a 62 2dr sedan, which was purchased from a swap meet in LA whilst on holiday a few years ago.
Bought it back to the UK, had to weld up the a pillars, and some of the front floor pan. Its currently running a 305 and auto box. I rebuilt the front suspension... still not the greatest ride i ever had! but got used to it.
Was originally bench, but got a pair of nice period buckets now, which are super comfy.
I have a 350 motor to build up foe the engine swap. Looking to find a decent front end kit to swap the complete suspension out... and swap to rack & pinion steering., any suggestions?
Currently running on 14" steels with dustbin lid caps, which keep it looking "stock"
Ater getting it on the road, we did a trip to Italy through 2 mountain ranges, in 40 degree heat at some high altitude.... did not miss a beat! but did run pretty hot up the steep hills!!

·
14,597 Posts
Hi All!
i am a new member from London, UK... have a 62 2dr sedan, which was purchased from a swap meet in LA whilst on holiday a few years ago.
Bought it back to the UK, had to weld up the a pillars, and some of the front floor pan. Its currently running a 305 and auto box. I rebuilt the front suspension... still not the greatest ride i ever had! but got used to it.
Was originally bench, but got a pair of nice period buckets now, which are super comfy.
I have a 350 motor to build up foe the engine swap. Looking to find a decent front end kit to swap the complete suspension out... and swap to rack & pinion steering., any suggestions?
Currently running on 14" steels with dustbin lid caps, which keep it looking "stock"
Ater getting it on the road, we did a trip to Italy through 2 mountain ranges, in 40 degree heat at some high altitude.... did not miss a beat! but did run pretty hot up the steep hills!! View attachment 417682
Hi All!
Ater getting it on the road, we did a trip to Italy through 2 mountain ranges, in 40 degree heat at some high altitude.... did not miss a beat! but did run pretty hot up the steep hills!! View attachment 417682
Welcome to the site. Your car looks god in the picture.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,754 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. It looks like you have a very nice Chevy II.
I can't help with any front suspension suggestions for a 62, but there are lots of members here that can. Please keep us posted on any future upgrades.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
678 Posts
Glad you joined. LA to UK and then to Italy. That Nova's a World Traveler. Good looking car.

·
Registered
297 Posts
welcome to SNS and servus from Austria!

Which route did you go from UK to Italy? France --> Italy or France --> Swiss --> Italy? I love cycling there because of the mountains and there are plenty of high mountain pass roads.

Nice ride by the way your 62 Nova!

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Welcome to the site.. Interesting combination of parts you have harvested for your 62 ChevyII. 64 trunk trim bar, 80’s ish 3/4 ton hubcaps.. I’m not trying to be critical. Just observing what it might take to keep a car on the the road when you’re a long way from major parts resources..

There are a lot of directions you can go with suspension upgrades. Bolt-no like CPP and CBR and a number of aftermarket front clips.
I Installed the CPP Mini subframe kit on my 64. It is a simple, economical, bolt-on that eliminates the wonky lower control arm arrangement. It does not offer a Rack and pinion option but I think a crafty person could work out a rack and pinion with a few harvested parts from a local salvage yard..
0CC42816-73DB-487B-B5BF-3A21A7667B5E.jpeg
BE6691B5-37FB-430C-AF79-36388DF2D739.png

2BDB9EC0-3A73-4D53-AE72-628CB214B530.png

If you want a full front clip I’ve used several versions from TCI Mustang II, Custom Coilover, and Pro Touring.
C5147311-C673-41AB-8063-D9ED15DB7D2E.png
64088093-B5C7-4855-A7AA-5A8DA9871B45.png
5A707540-C770-498E-8B33-6CA93FFA42C8.png

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
All of the above are great options. depending on your skill set you could also fabricate your own from local parts or perhaps there is a local fabricator that can set you up. having said this one would have to compare costs including shipping costs from the U.S. compared to building something locally.
If you went with Church Boys racing you have many options and can build as you go or do it all in one shot. Their option also allows you to run a rear sump pan.
They have great service and customer support.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
welcome to the nova site. your 62 nova looks like a fun ride on those narrower street in europe. i've drove those german/austrian mountain roads before in a VW an a mercedes, sure was better in a mercedes.

Reactions: London Nova

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,051 Posts
Welcome to SNS . . . . and a Nice Chevy II / Nova , you have .

"up-grade front - end parts" .......................... Church Boys Racing .

. . . . later , jim

Reactions: London Nova

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
welcome to SNS and servus from Austria!

Which route did you go from UK to Italy? France --> Italy or France --> Swiss --> Italy? I love cycling there because of the mountains and there are plenty of high mountain pass roads.

Nice ride by the way your 62 Nova!
hey! we went across France, dropped down through Switzerland and stayed with friends in Luzern, then up via Stelvio Pass over towards Milan.... then onto our final destination of Vicenza...
a great drive, and amazing scenary.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the site.. Interesting combination of parts you have harvested for your 62 ChevyII. 64 trunk trim bar, 80’s ish 3/4 ton hubcaps.. I’m not trying to be critical. Just observing what it might take to keep a car on the the road when you’re a long way from major parts resources..

There are a lot of directions you can go with suspension upgrades. Bolt-no like CPP and CBR and a number of aftermarket front clips.
I Installed the CPP Mini subframe kit on my 64. It is a simple, economical, bolt-on that eliminates the wonky lower control arm arrangement. It does not offer a Rack and pinion option but I think a crafty person could work out a rack and pinion with a few harvested parts from a local salvage yard..
View attachment 417702 View attachment 417703
View attachment 417704

If you want a full front clip I’ve used several versions from TCI Mustang II, Custom Coilover, and Pro Touring.
View attachment 417705 View attachment 417706 View attachment 417707
i had no idea the trunk trim was wrong for the year :) originally had 15" rally wheels, but the rear offset was wrong for the back, and tyres rubbed badly... these 14's i had kicking about, and kinda like the caps too.... keeps a "stock" look... thanks for the info on the front ends, i have looked at the Church ones and they look good.... would also like to sort the rear end out, are there 4 bar set ups avialable to get wider tyres under the arches?.... is the blue nova yours? looks F-ing cool!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All of the above are great options. depending on your skill set you could also fabricate your own from local parts or perhaps there is a local fabricator that can set you up. having said this one would have to compare costs including shipping costs from the U.S. compared to building something locally.
If you went with Church Boys racing you have many options and can build as you go or do it all in one shot. Their option also allows you to run a rear sump pan.
They have great service and customer support.
thanks for the info..... i have done a suspension swap on my 56 chevy truck, heidts front with manual rack, and a 4 bar rear.... not scared of cutting stuff up! :):)

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
@London Nova
Thank you.. All of the pics I posted above are mine except the last one with the PT clip.. The blue hardtop is a 64 SS and has the same die cast trim bar as you have on your 62. It is not an easy piece to come by. In 64 hardtops were initially discontinued and then brought back into production for only half of the year. I don’t know how many of those that were built were SS but it is a low number. You are a lucky man to have that piece especially if it is in good condition..

Rear suspension setups are also available in a variety of configurations. Depending on how much tire you want to run. You could move the leaf springs inboard and mini tub the inner wheel houses.. You could also look at Caltracks which use a traction bar assembly that behaves like a 4 link. There are a couple of similar systems that work off of the same type as of leaf spring and traction bar affair Smith Racecraft has Assin Bars and Competition Engineering has a similar setup.. Competition Engineering also has a weld in subframe connector that has optional rear rear frame rails that can be used and are designed to move the leaf springs inboard.

If you want to go to a multi or 4 link type suspension there a number f directions to go as well from mild to wild. TCI, CBR, DSE, Heidts, Checkered Racing, and many more have parallel or triangulated 4 links and torque arm suspensions available.

I’m using a TCI PT clip and Torque arm rear suspension joined by a full tube frame on my 63.
This is my ongoing project from as it started to current state..
6A8D1F58-9A28-4014-B760-E3C3C2D65034.png
AB7B3346-13DF-4027-8DA8-073C29ED4C50.png
8C63E95C-4332-4C52-893B-A3FDABE51E8F.jpeg
23691DC2-EBB8-46F5-9F44-086A484FE810.jpeg
4B1D91F6-29B2-4D82-A8DC-C98E2F159F1F.jpeg
59F2566A-83F1-40F9-924D-7484CB839F56.png

1 - 16 of 16 Posts