Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I would like to introduce myself to everyone that reads this outstanding site. My name is Tom and I have always been a big fan of the Chevy Nova. This goes back to my childhood days when my older brother purchased a new 1970 Chevy Nova. This was a great car and I wish he still had the car. He was always working on the car and he would race it on the weekends at the former Oswego drag strip in Illinois. My favorite memory was when he was installing a set of headers and he needed my help because he could not get the firewall side bolts into place. Since I was a young kid my hands where slightly smaller and I was able to install the bolts for him.

I knew that someday I would own a Chevy Nova and that day has finally arrived. I had been looking for a 62 or 63 ragtop as I like the freedom with the top down. During my search I came across many cars but they were either completely restored and selling for way more than I could afford or complete rust buckets that would take more cash to complete than I have access to. In May of this year I found a nice 63 ragtop that was ready to drive. So far the car has been a blast to drive. I have attended five car shows and won 3 trophies as people really like the car. Its really not show quality but the hardware looks good in the garage.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/albums/r631/TMack63nova/

I have many plans for this car and my first project was to get the top motor functioning again. When I purchased the car the previous owner told me the motor did not work and he have removed everything so that he could put the top down manually. The motor was completely seized up and I found Top Motor Repair in South Carolina. I sent the motor there and Jim got it repaired and functioning again. (see pictures) I then reinstalled the cylinders, tubing, and pump, now it operates like a new car.

My next project will be to swap out the inline 6 for a small block 327. (any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated).

If you noticed my avatar picture, which is a Sunstar 1/18 scale model of a 1963 Chevy Nova SS, this is the final goal that I have for my car. This will required me to clone the car and obtain many parts that I currently do not have. (again any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Well thanks for reading this post and I look forward to all of your experience.

Have a great day!!!! :ragtop:

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you

Hello:

I would like to thank everyone for welcoming me to the site. I enjoy reading all the stories on all the hard work that has gone into these great cars. I look forward to someday soon finishing my project. I will update the pictures as I move along. The next project will start at the end of October with the engine swap. Any and all experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Tom

(TMack63Nova) :ragtop:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Welcome to SNS! :yes: :yes:

Great lookin' ride, she's a beauty! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Aloha from Hawaii, Tom !

Cool story, wrenching at a young age ! Congrats on your find, have fun bonding with her... You're at the right place, WELCOME TO STEVE'S !!!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will do!! As soon as I tear into the engine swap I'll take lots of pictures and post updates as I move along. I'm sure that I'll run into things that I need answers for so the questions will be researched and posted as needed.

Thanks,

TMack63Nova :ragtop:

·
Premium Member
1,699 Posts
Nice vert, welcome to Steves from Central Illinois.

EarlyIIs

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
TO SNS , :waving:

:cool pics: WELCOME TO THE NO ROOF CLUB!
GLAD TO HAVE YOU WITH US, ENJOY THE SITE!
:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts