Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone - I'm new to the classic car/hotrod community so excuse my lack of knowledge when I'm posting questions. Hoping ya'll can help me narrow down my options for the following upgrades:

1) Currently have a manual rack and pinion setup -->I'm going to be doing more city driving than anything else so I'm looking to convert to a power rack and pinion..also exploring other options (EPS). Please let me know of any suggestions for upgrading this steering to more of a daily driver type setup.

2) A/C-->No AC installed at the moment..living in Dallas I kinda need that so I've been looking at Vintage and some others..I don't need blasting cold AC, I just need something to get me through the summertime. I've been getting quotes from local shops here in Dallas, but parts/labor rates seem to range quite a bit..any advice here would be appreciated!

3) Wiring -->Still have the original box/wiring. Looking to install dakota gauges, but I have a feeling the wiring isn't going to support it. I'm trying to avoid doing a full/complete wireharness kit..maybe just something to support the dash/gauges? Any info is appreciated here as well

4) Brakes -->currently has disk brakes on all 4, but no power :( I hate to admit it but the drivers in Dallas are sub-par at their finest, so I'd like to reduce the risk of fender benders with some type of upgrade here..cheapest solution preferred

Those are my top 4 items on the list at this point. Any info you can provide is much appreciated. If any of you know a good/reliable mechanic in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, please let me know! Cheers!!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Hi bolingky

and, WELCOME to SNS

plus, I was Born in Dallas & grew up in Garland through the 50-60-70
and, work in Dallas, Plano, & Richardson ( my 1st wife was from Richardson. That's how I ended up-in Arizona (my in-laws, lived here).

My Nova is a 69 - 2dr - 250 = 6 .... no pwr steering here, I just installed front pwr disc brakes ( using all stock Nova front brakes).
You may just need to add power/m-c & booster to get you there ?

I DO have a/c ... Factory A/C , but alot of guys have gone 'aftermarket'
.... Check Vintage Air or Classic Auto Air.

Then, I am still using all my 'Factory Wiring & Box' ...... but, my stuff is still very good shape (one owner "Grand-Pa's" AZ car).

Well, That's 3 of 4 ....... I'm staying 'manual steering' for my ride ...... goes easy with th' 'Six'.

again, :welcome:

:waving:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Twinshadows, appreciate the info. I'm actually flying out to Phoenix tomorrow for the Waste Management open, looking forward to it!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey Everyone - I'm new to the classic car/hotrod community so excuse my lack of knowledge when I'm posting questions. Hoping ya'll can help me narrow down my options for the following upgrades:

2) A/C-->No AC installed at the moment..living in Dallas I kinda need that so I've been looking at Vintage and some others..I don't need blasting cold AC, I just need something to get me through the summertime. I've been getting quotes from local shops here in Dallas, but parts/labor rates seem to range quite a bit..any advice here would be appreciated!

3) Wiring -->Still have the original box/wiring. Looking to install dakota gauges, but I have a feeling the wiring isn't going to support it. I'm trying to avoid doing a full/complete wireharness kit..maybe just something to support the dash/gauges? Any info is appreciated here as well

Those are my top 4 items on the list at this point. Any info you can provide is much appreciated. If any of you know a good/reliable mechanic in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, please let me know! Cheers!!
So I can help you with a couple of these. First...a big Texas welcome! I am also in the DFW area.

On #2 above...we put an aftermarket one in. Did it ourselves as the Texas heat was cooking us. We used Classic Auto Air as they are right here in Coppell, TX...drove over and picked it up. I just posted on this the other day for someone looking for 4th gen AC. They sell 3rd gen as well.
Our details of the AC start on page 15 on our build thread.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424858&page=15
here is link to that other thread https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660623

On #3...you can see our solution on our build thread. Used Speedway Gauges and made our own.

Details start around page 10 - https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=424858&page=10

Good mechanic. Apple's Automotive in Euless. He personally races a Nova. Small shop but knows classic cars. Just remember it will always be MUCH cheaper to do it yourself...if you have the time and know how. We have used him a couple of times to troubleshoot some issues and get the Nova and an old truck back on the road :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts