Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah yeah, red neck hick state. But hey, some of us can't choose where we live all the time! lol, so anywho!

My name is Dewayne. My wife (Marcy) and I have been together for 7 years. 2 of those married, and have a child on the way. :eek:

She's always liked hot rods, and as I stated a long time ago, "I'll find my wife at the track..." well sorta. My friend was dating her, and when we first met (he was still dating her) the first thing she said was "Hey, lets all go to George Rays dragstrip tomorrow" :D

My friend cheated on her (he has a problem, he's getting help lol) So here we are! She had always liked chevy's and when she met me I had a 81 Malibu, 8sec street car at 1/8. It was a little sbc but big gears and tires in the back haha. It just flew from there.

When I was a teen, I traded a ... well hell I don't know what year it was but it was an old crown vic, 4 door, big wheels n tires in the back, scoop out the hood and good exhaust. It had heat, air, power seats, the whole 9 yards. Kinda cheezy, but it was a cool, 4 door car. I traded this thing for a '72 nova, from my favorite cousin. He had 4 kids. so you can guess how my trading pitch was :D I got the nova, took her to mid 7's (1/8th again) and drove her back and forth to work, 8 miles 1 way every day. My fiance at the time and I split, kids vandalized the Nova, and I gave it away. .. literally gave it to a friend. I kept engine and rear.

Life happens, I get depressed off and on and my wife and friend tells me I need another ride. I found a '74 Nova SS, it did have the black trim and weird stripes when the guy got it, he primered it and I got it from him for $2k, drove it home.

SO HERE WE ARE!! I'm back, I don't wanna sell this one, and I want it to be here to stay... less of course someone offers me a 67 Camaro again for it.

Sorry it's a wall of text, but to all who read it, thanks and my summery is ..

I'm 32. Married. 1st kid on the way. I raise miniature Boston Terriers. I work on computers for a living (not my cup of tea, but with my bad back, tis all I can do)

I'll try and post pics later or something.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
******* or not you're a Nova lover and they're always welcome here!

We don't judge you, we interested in your car!:D

Got any pics!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, took some sleeping pills earlier, double dose, still can't sleep. Thought I'd check the forums.

Thanks for the welcomes. Ima lookin for some pics at the moment... not sure if they're on this gamer pc or the business one. Hopefully have some up soon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[/IMG]

had to throw in my building buddy... or buddyette. That's my breeder female, Kadie, when she was a pup.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is the engine I put in it. It had been in 3 hot rods, and still had never been fired. It was in a 77 firebird, then pulled and put into a '55 chevy. Then pulled from that and put into this 74 Nova. The pics are of when it was in the firebird. I traded the rolling firebird for the 4.3 V6 55 chevy, that's solid as a rock. No rust through anywhere. But i decided to do a 2 door conversion with a big block. 2 lane blacktop clone... those plans may be halted, may sell the 55 to finish the Nova.

BTW Engine specs are: 355. TRW Forged Flat tops. 280 Comp cam (partial to them, shoulda went with Voodoo) 68? Dbl Hump (large hump) heads, with extensive work done to them. Builder said he projects 400 min HP. Those are ceramic coated shorty headers. Cheap Performer Intake and Edle Carb.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the guy that got the car, was the 2nd owner. He took off the SS stripes, filled in the blinkers and stuff, shaved the doors, which he used bondo so he could go back later and go classic. Which I have already punched out the driver's side and put door handles back in. He also shaved the roof, drip rails, which I kinda thought was a goofy idea, but I see what he was trying to do.

Previous owner was going to make it as smooth and slick as possible. Very little chrome and dark gray. He actually had like.. 20"s on the car when I first saw it. He wanted $3,900 for the car. By the time I got up there, I told him keep the wheels and stuff. Told him I was dissappointed because he told me on the phone the car's body was all done! WRONG!

Where he cut the rain rails, the metal is split, has to be tack welded and smoothed out. Floor pans need work. Door is out of line on driver side. Some rust on the tail light base.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also, by the way, I was told by a local Central Chevrolet car dealer, that builds top end cars, for example the last Willys he built sold for over $55k
Anywho, he was a big Nova fan. He told me the Nova SS's in 73 & 74, there was no real way to tell if it was SS or not. This is what he told me:

You could get the SS without the stripes and with chrome trim.
You could get the SS also with drums all around.
ANY ENGINE, for the SS.
Of course, the dreaded no Doc on Vin or Title
Stickers and all that jazz was actually optional.

He said he knows because his dad ordered one with the biggest engine, but in chrome trim, no stickers etc. He did get the disc brakes he said. They had the car till it got stolen... go figure. Never recovered... but that's the story I was told. And he said they were told by sooo many people that it was not an SS it was unreal, he said even after telling them he had ordered it that way!

His family career is ... or was working for Chevrolet, either factory or sales. I was wondering what you guys had thoughts on that. I've had some tell me that was all mis info, but how could that be when the guy who told me, is a 3rd generation Career Chevrolet worker that builds cars every year? Shouldn't he know? I guess that doesn't clarify his smartness.. but you know.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Check this out: http://www.novaresource.org/rpo_Z26.htm
And WELCOME! :yes::yes:

Oh - BTW - when you post pics - "stack" the image codes (as in hit "enter" after every one) so that the pics don't go side by side. That way the reader doesn't have to scroll over to view them and the text...:yes::D:D:D

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Don't know what's up - but they are side by side on my screen. These are the only ones I have found this way in a LONG time...
Beats me. I always start a new line for the first pic, and hit enter twice after pasting the img code so there is a space between each pic. If you did that - I guess maybe this one is an anomaly or something....:confused::confused::confused:

I just tried all of the templates and they are side by side in each template.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts