Chevy Nova Forum banner

New here (looking at getting my first Nova)

3K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  sergioregraguy 
Do you guys think i can build a budget cheap race/street car that does 12/13 secs in the quarter and can be driven in the street for around 5k if the car is around 2k. I have never done this so i am worried i am biting off more then i can afford.
The car i’m looking at has a 350 in it.
i will need a rear end and i will need to gut the cars interior. Just gonna put one seat in it. Not worried about what it looks like. I probably need a trans also. It’s my first build so i don’t want to mess it up.
I don’t think that is a great budget to get you quite where you want to be. If you’ve seen the Bonemaro Camaro on Roadkill Garage they tried to do something similar with about a $10k budget, a 79 Camaro, and a 5.3 LS with a turbo.
You can look up those episodes and see what you think..

do you know if they have a build list for it. I dont mind spending more over time just trying to stay as cheap as possible. Like I said its all new to me.
I don’t know if they have a formal build list but Tony does discuss the stuff he’s using and why. Mostly budget related decisions on the parts..

Actually, they do have a parts list and pricing.

@Jnova2022
There were three episodes on that project so there is probably more stuff they have bought and they took some shortcuts that cost them. When you set up these engines you need to gap the piston rings(0.03”) for a boosted application and they didn’t do that when they put the the first engine in the car. They ended up rolling a ring out of the number 7 piston and gouged the cylinder wall. So they picked up another engine for the project.. There are probably things that will very in your build but these cars X and F bodies are quite similar GM platforms. This should be a very comparable build as a guideline.

That’s not a bad number but it really depends on what kind of condition it is in.. Is it titled and does it have a title that matches the vehicle..?

Looks like it’s been sitting in that dirt for quite a while. You might want to look under the carpet for rust in the floors and lower rockers. Otherwise, it doesn’t look took bad from what is in these pictures.. Why has it been sitting for so long..?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.