Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I broke about half of the originals shown on the right in the first photo when I tried to twist and pull them out. I was told the new ones on the left will work but nobody around here has any info about how to install them. Getting ready to reinstall the headliner mounting strips and need to know how these new clips work.

The last three photos show a few of the places where they are attached. Help.....again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
Looking at the original ones it appears as though they are a push in and twist to lock in place. I do not see how the repops would work the same way.

Push in and bend / gently hammer the tabs flat maybe.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,758 Posts
ok then,

In u'r 1st photo --- is the 'original clip' - that way -or- is it already bent (see what I mean)(twisted or should be 'straight') … ?

Might need to call / contact a upholstery shop that does "headliners" .

I have too replace mine (3rd gen-headliner) , not sure I use those same clips ----- but great question.

and, keep those questions coming ---- we are all learning as we go …. :yes:

later, jim

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The shape of the one leaning over is how they came out of the hole. I'm told that is the way they were made. Tilt over slightly, push and twist them in. I had a heck of a time taking them out as the two flat ears lay flat against the metal as shown in the photos. The ears are very thin and very hard to get hold of. My upholstery guy said he has take hundreds of them out and probably broken at least half. He is trying to convince me to just put a few back in for alignment, drill some holes and rivet the mounting strips. If I can't figure out how to install these expensive new ones I'll probably end up either riveting them or just using sheet metal screws.

GMClassics lists them as being compatible with 1962-1972 Novas so I bought them but for the life of me can't figure out how in the world they would stay in the hole.

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts
If you do use pop rivets - use the shortest ones you can get and keep in mind your head liner has to tuck in behind the bracket and then the plastic trim has to go in place after that.

·
Registered
86 Posts
headliner clips

To the Gen 3 guy the headliner is a pain if you don't have the original perforated board.
I have two from one supplier. they are pretty good if installed correctly. It's a PVC backer that should be glued to the roof with a vinyl top adhesive (per 3M)
The interior "felt" material is glued first to the PVC then installed as a unit. I didn't glue the PVC to the top the first time. now I'm too sore to re-do it. It looked beautiful when I first put it in though. Over time in the heat it sagged like mad.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I've given this thing some more thought and after talking to my upholstery guy we've come to the conclusion that they have to be inserted into the hole and whacked briskly on the end to drive the two pointed centers toward the end, thus spreading the ends so it'll stay in the hole.

I spend this whole day trying to find out how these things attach for sure and found nothing. You'd think if they were gonna sell them there would be some kind of instructions which would explain how they are to be used but ....nada....nothing!

Anyway, looking at the clip it seems the two inner sleeves would be forced down and the ends would separated so whacking them on the two raised parts would be the way to set them. If anybody has any better idea..PLEASE let me know as I need to get this job done.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
OK , Sam ……. the BFH part makes alittle more sense.

Could you take ; say a small piece of metal (sheet metal / or / metal strap) ---- use that for a sample, drill your size hole, lay-it on your vise & smack that "fitting" (with the fitting inside that hole) , and view the "results".

Did that 'smacking' -- spread those 'tangs' - inside the (drilled) hole.

I might think that the 'clip (fitting)' will bend ------- BUT, HOW - will it bend ? ? . Does it bend - on one side / both sides / up.-or.-down ?

Maybe you can see some 'results' ……………. I'm just guessing ; but, worth a shot , let us know …..

later, jim

·
Registered
97 Posts
I also bought some of the new style clips and never able to get them to work, so I straightened out my old ones with needle nose pliers and re-used as many as I could. I found some plastic push pins that fit the holes and used them. Just push them in as far as the other one so they still have some movement.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As usual I've got about a half dozen things going on all at one time.

I've got some of those door panel clips. I'll dig one out and take a look. I know the originals kept the mounting strips tight up against the metal where they mount. Not sure if the door panel clips will do that as they look like the part that springs out when they slip through the hole might not do that. Worth a look though.

I've already got $60 plus shipping in these new clips (24) and hate to not use them if only we could find out how to install them. I guess I made a mistake taking the originals out as apparently I'm the only fool in the world of Novas that would do that just to clean the glue residue off of them. :yes:

I do have a few of the originals that didn't break off and still haven't ruled out poking a few back in and either installing short sheet metal screws or rivets. I was looking at one of my manuals that shows a side view of how the headliner attaches to mounting strip and from that, it looks like if I were to put a rivet or screw right beside the hole either one would clear the head liner.

I've got a couple of pieces of metal that is about as thick at the metal in the roof where the mounting strips attach and a piece of sheet metal so I'll probably give one of the new ones a good whack and see what they do.

My upholstery friend came out and took a look at the Nova and he's ready any time I am to get the headliner in. I just hope I'm not making a mistake by installing the headliner before the front and rear windshields.

Sam

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Well, if all else fells ….. I'd choose ……… sheet metal screws.

Then, I think installing the headliner without the front & rear glass IS the way too go. If you need to pull / or / stretch either end ------
there you go --- much easier.

You DO KNOW ………… too get some of those "spring (paper) clips" to help hold the headliner at each end :

72 headliner info :

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518881&highlight=3rd+gen+headliner+install

wonder what this guy did : Check his "profile -- last post was : today " ……. PM ?

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465097&highlight=3rd+gen+headliner+install

I need to remove my front windshield anyway (it's cracked & pitted) , plus, I was thinking it would be better too have the rear window out also. I have the 'correct headliner material' ---- but, it's not "pre-sewn" ; and my current headliner IS Falling down . It's going too the top of my work-list, shortly.

·
Registered
1963 Nova coupe, Phoenix Arizona
2,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I sent a PM to HazCat to see if he can offer any info on these clips.

Thanks for the info on the flat headed screws. They look very similar to the screws used on the side window stainless under the drip rail that the window gasket is secured to. You all have come up with some viable options to the clips we can't seem to figure out so far.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have not moved into the interior on my ride yet - I've been dealing with bodywork shenanigans for the last 4 years, but I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think your interior guy is right, the clips go in and get pushed in to engage the hole. I think it needs a flush connector rather than a philips screw because the headliner pulls back flat across that strip and it needs some float during stretching, but check with your headliner guy - I've never done one myself. Looking at my notes, I was thinking about cutting a slot in a putty knife (like for a door panel clip tool) and putting that under as I put a pop rivet in. then pulling the blade out should give the joint some room to move. Have you sourced the nylon clips for your stays yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
BFH worked for me

I had the same issue with my 66 SS that I am currently replacing the headliner. I just a 16 oz ball peen hammer and an aluminum drift. Just hit once firmly, otherwise you may break the flat ear of and will lose some retention on the clip. I got mine from GM Classics.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I broke about half of the originals shown on the right in the first photo when I tried to twist and pull them out. I was told the new ones on the left will work but nobody around here has any info about how to install them. Getting ready to reinstall the headliner mounting strips and need to know how these new clips work.

The last three photos show a few of the places where they are attached. Help.....again.
riverboatman, is that a behive inside the cavity in the last picture?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
It is a wasp nest. The most common wasps we have in Georgia are the Yellow Jacket, Guinea Wasp and the Red Wasp which makes a similar paper nest as the Yellow Jacket and Guinea but larger because the wasp is larger.

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK guys, I sacrificed one of the clips to see what I could do. I had to drill a 1/4" hole in the two pieces of metal that I was experimenting with so it's looking like I'll have to drill out all the original holes in the car to that size if I'm going to use these clips. I used a large bolt to drive with mainly because it had a beveled end that I figured would keep the clip centered when I whacked it with the hammer. I didn't use a large hammer and did not use a lot of force. Just a light whack and it was all over. I read these clips were made from some special metal (Yeah Right) that would allow the ends to stretch and the driving part to stretch when it was being force down into the middle of the clip. As you can see the wedge forced the bottom end outward thus stretching them across the hole and securing them in place.

I need to start a Facebook page on how to install these as there are no instruction anywhere but of course I guess they think we're smart enough to figure it out on our own. Well, they were right. HAHA!

See the photos.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts