Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone, i'm mike and i'm an alcoholic...oh wait, wrong place. haha. i just bought a '69 nova. it's a plain jane. originally had a straight 6 with a 3 speed manual column shift. the previous owner converted it to a floor shift and dropped a 350 in it...but then removed the motor for another project and left this one parked behund some dumpsters where he works(dumpster rental place). so my neighbor told me about it randomly in a conversation last week. big mistake. haha. as soon as he said it, i was scheming on buying it and building it. i've been itching for another muscle car for a few years. between the ages of 17 and 25 i had 3 second gen camaro's, a '71 chevelle, and a second gen firebird. when gas prices were climbing and the firebird was falling apart as fast as i could fix it, i sold it and bought a jeep, which i'm still driving. it's a horrible daily driver though, because i caught the bug with that too and couldn't stop moddifying it. then i got bored with breaking parts and getting stuck in the mud, and got the itch for a fast car again. that brings us back to the present. me at 30, about to go pick up my new nova. i think i'm going to drop another 350 in it. honestly though, i don't know much about nova's so i'm curious about that 3 speed trans. is it sturdy enough to run a mildly built 350 or should i just spring for a muncie 4 speed replacement asap? eventually i'd like to put a 396 in it with the muncie behind it, but the budget doesn't allow for that yet, so whatever 350 i can scrounge together will be it for now. thanks in advance for anyone's input.

-mike

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
hey everyone, i'm mike and i'm an alcoholic...oh wait, wrong place.

-mike
Not really, you be saying you're a Nova alcoholic soon enough! I have a plane jane 69 too, well except for the SS and BB!:rolleyes::devil: Welcome to the site, Mike!

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
here's some pics i took with my phone when i went to look at it. haha. it looks alot worse than it is. it will probably need rear quarters. the passenger side has a couple holes. the driver side has some rot on the edge of the wheel opening. other than that though, the body is great. seeing it's been parked on the edge of the woods behind this guys business for a year, i'm really surprised. the owner was driving it when he parked it and yanked the motor. i wish he had left the hood on though. it would've looked a little better for the pics. my friends all think i bought a heap. they just don't see the potential. they won't say that once it gets a motor and they hear it roaring down the road.:devil:

when the engine moved out, the honey suckle moved in.

my old man checking out. he gave his approval. he had a '67 when he was a kid.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Glad to see you want to save it! Is that a true Lemans blue car? That's my favorite color on these cars.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was more than happy to save this car. when my neighbor told me about it, i knew right away i was going to buy it somehow someway. then he told me the guy only wanted a grand for it and i knew it was mine. of course then there was the shock when i went to see it and saw all that crap growing around it and out of the engine compartment. i got scared. after clearing some of it away and getting a closer look, i felt relieved. aside from a little cancer on the rear quarters, it's solid. the interior is a bit ratty. needs carpet, the front bench seat is well beyond repair. i want buckets anyway though. the backseat is out of it. the owner said he has it though. not sure what kind of shape it's in. all in all, it's a really solid car. i couldn't believe how good it looked. even the chrome on the bumpers is pretty good. as far as the color being original, i couldn't tell you as of yet. i didn't check the tag for paint codes. as soon as i get it towed out of there and into my friends garage where we can dig into it, i won't know anything more about it. i can't wait. i've felt like a kid on x-mas eve since i called the guy to tell him i'll take it.:D

·
Registered
759 Posts
WELCOME TO STEVES . THIS IS A GREAT SITE FOR INFORMATION. YOUR ON YOUR WAY TO A GOOD PROJECT. :thumbsup::chev:

·
Registered
120 Posts
This is the way most good cars get started,good luck with it,I'm sure as excited as you are about buying it, it'll be on the road soon.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got my title today.:) hopefully going to yank the car out of the woods thursday or friday so i can get started on it. i'm stoked.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'm finally picking up the nova tomorrow morning. :beer1:(my celebratory beverage) i can't wait. check back for new pics in the next few days.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
Welcome to steve's !!!! Merry Nova-mas !!!!!!!:yes::yes:

Ric

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
hey everyone, i'm mike and i'm an alcoholic...oh wait, wrong place. haha. i just bought a '69 nova. it's a plain jane. originally had a straight 6 with a 3 speed ........ thanks in advance for anyone's input.

-mike
Hi Mike,
I'm kinda new here too. Already got some help. Lots of helpful types around here. Good luck with the 69 project. I've got a 65 now but have a soft spot for those 69s. Had one way back when. Here's a link to my site
http://home.earthlink.net/~kevdebin/oldgold/
Click the Connecticut plate icon to see 35 year old Polaroids of the 69. I was from your part of the country originally. You can click the Georgia plate icon to go back to the 65 I have now.
Welcome
KDee

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
picking it up didn't work out today, but i did get the weeds chopped out of the way to take some better pics. i'll get the car back to the shop tomorrow if everything goes as planned.

paint code 71: le mans blue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts