Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on replacing my guage cluster in the future and was wondering about the mileage reading on the new one.

I'm assuming that it will read ZERO acoss as its new. Is there a way to make it start at the mileage YOU want it to start?

Technically, I would want my car to start at Zero miles when I really put it into service but right now it has the mileage that it has. I would write down the mileage and technically make that ZERO. Than I would want to make the new cluster start at the mileage I left off at time of install.

So can it be modified to my liking or it has to start at zero.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
I'd think it would depend on the manufacturer of the gauges you are installing. I spoke with the folks at Classic Instruments about this issue and they told me they can set odometer on their speedos to whatever reading the customer desires. If you have an aftermarket speedo to install, contact the vendor's tech dept.

Frank

·
6,497 Posts
The attached pictures are from a 66 Impala which should be close to what is in the 68-79 Novas.

There is a retainer clip on the numbers axle and once this is removed the whole number set can be removed.

Be careful as inside the number wheels I think there are smaller wheel gears to where when one number rotates fully it moves the one to the left of it to the next number.

Also be aware the tabs of the spacers between the numbers must be engaged properly when it gets reinstalled. These spacers with tabs are for when a speedometer is spun backwards they then show white between the numbers.

Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
So, you couldn't figure out how to roll back the odometer, so now you wanna start with a new cluster and roll it up to an acceptable point for resale?

Yeah Buddy!, I should give you a contact number for the Russians I deal with, they know how to do it, I load their "High Mileage" cars in containers for Russian resale all the time...:) They are all rolled back when they hit the Motherland..

Good luck!:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts