Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying to fire up the 350 sbc since a while, I noticed there wasn't any gas coming from the tank. So I replaced the fuel pomp including the rod ( mechanical), and while at it replaced all the hoses and put a new fuel filter in between. After trying,still no gas at the carb. At the outlet side of the pump I have enough gas now. There's not much in between, just the filter but since its a stainless steel kind I can't see through if gas is filling it up.Anyone familiar with problems with new fuel filters,not letting through gas?
And yes , I installed it in the right direction :eek:
All help is welcome!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Take it out and connect the lines together. If the car runs then you know it was the filter.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was thinking about that. Problem is I used stainless braided hoses and had a very hard time getting it over all the fittings. Was thinking about pre filling the filter and trying again. If that doesn't work I might take some rubber hose from the pump to the carb and bypass everything that way. Thanks

·
Registered
1972 Nova
330 Posts
Do you have a Quadrajet, Rochester 2bbl, or an aftermarket carb? I was having issues with fuel getting to the carb as well. I was pumping straight out of a gas can to the pump and to the carb, so I could see fuel was trying to flow. It turned out that the filter at the inlet port of my 2bbl carb was solid and not letting fuel through. A new filter cost me something like $2, but I don't know what it would cost over your way.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing your experience! I have a edelbrock 650 on it. I took the hose off the inlet of the carb and stuck it in a plastic bottle, to see if fuel is coming out. But nothing..... I guess it's the filter but think its kind of weird a brand new one doesn't do the job. I had a plastic one before but I didn't like it because I was afraid it would crack and possibly start an engine fire. When I'm gonna bypass the filter as a test I might put the old transparent plastic one back so I can see the gas....hopefully

·
Registered
397 Posts
Check inside both ends of the braided line between the fuel pump and the filter, and here's why. I had the same problem, and I was also using braided line. After going crazy trying to find the problem, we pulled the line off of the far side of the filter and cranked...just a trickle of fuel. When we pulled the lime off the other end of the filter, we found that the fuel filter had shaved the inside of the braided line, and that acted as a plug in the line. New lines and careful installation got the fusl flowing properly.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check inside both ends of the braided line between the fuel pump and the filter, and here's why. I had the same problem, and I was also using braided line. After going crazy trying to find the problem, we pulled the line off of the far side of the filter and cranked...just a trickle of fuel. When we pulled the lime off the other end of the filter, we found that the fuel filter had shaved the inside of the braided line, and that acted as a plug in the line. New lines and careful installation got the fusl flowing properly.
Sounds like that could definitely be the case over here!
Had a very hard time pushing the hoses on. Going to check this evening and will keep updated.
Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Hi 'Dutch'

just by-pass your 'new filter' with a new "clear plastic filter" too make sure the ol' 69 will still go .

look what Ralph said above ... ^^^^ ... I've had that happen too me, also ..... I installed a new metal filter and cut the inside of that hose ... it acted just like a flap - or - valve ... and cut off flow to my fuel pump. I sure hope it's something that simple for you.
How's it going over there ? All is really Good here in Chino Valley.

Chris (Poindexter) & I are going over to L A ... So-Cal Nova BBQ
on the July 20th .... and, get to check their Nova's.
Poindexter just got back from this year's "Hot Rod Power Tour 2019" ...
and, he even did the Long - Haul , trip.

later , buddy ... jim

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, finally got to it and the guys directed me to a plugged hose win the toaster!
I bypassed it with a see through filter and put the other end in a bottle,started for five seconds and fuel flooded out. I took the new hoses from the stainless filter amd saw a piece of rubber in one hose preventing fuel from getting through. So everything fixed! Plus a lesson , ( thanks to you guys ) that I will never forget!:D

Good to hear from you Jim! And great everything is fine over in AZ.
Over here great too! Working on my 69 Camaro to stay busy:cool:

Thanks too all to get the problem solved!!!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Super Resource

This site is a really nice place, and the knowledge seems limitless.
The Dutchman's problem and the ready solutions that were offered are yet another example of people ready to freely provide assistance.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So now the problem is fixed I hooked it up to the carb,started the engine and......fuel is flooding over the carb:rolleyes:
My guess some rubber came loose from the inside of the previous hose and got into the carb, preventing the needle to move freely. It's an edelbrock 1406. Think I'll have to take it apart to see what's up.
Another option could be the fuel pressure is to high but I doubt if that's the case. Replaced the old one for the same mechanical model Don't have a gauge nearby.
Even though it's from no gas to way too much, slowly getting there:D

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
This site is a really nice place, and the knowledge seems limitless.
The Dutchman's problem and the ready solutions that were offered are yet another example of people ready to freely provide assistance.
I very much agree ---- & look at my rear window
---- it means A-LOT to many people ......

Can't agree more!
Gerwin ... glad you got if fixed --- (now tooo much
fuel ... lol ... smile --- :D

later == jim

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
off topic : just the other day (at our weekly "ROMEO'S lunch).

being the 1st two guys too arrive (and, he's a regular also) === He asked me what NPHNP meant ....................

funny thing is : he drives a VERY NICE '66 Nova ..

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,495 Posts
So now the problem is fixed I hooked it up to the carb,started the engine and......fuel is flooding over the carb:rolleyes:
My guess some rubber came loose from the inside of the previous hose and got into the carb, preventing the needle to move freely.
Based on your previous fuel line issue... this would be my guess too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With some delay, because holiday, the engine is running fine now!
The problem with the flooding carb was the floaters ( if that's what it's called :rolleyes: ) where way off. Adjusted both, cleaned the carb, put it back together and it started without flooding..BUT DIDN'T RUN :D
Found out it didn't spark. Took the MSD streetfire distributor off and measured the resistance on the coil, all fine. Replaced the module ( which didn't had any heat sink grease under it ),cleaned every part of the MSD, put it together and the engine fired up straight away!
So in the end I just add all this to my learning experience and I am happy guy! Thanks guys!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts