Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the inline 6 with a small block. I am currently working on the front brakes and suspension. Since I have the coil springs out, do I go ahead and replace them with new small block springs since the old ones were for the inline 6? I am also doing a 2" spindle drop with my brake setup. Will the new springs counter act with my spindle drop??? Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
the 6 cylinder springs will drop to low, you will need V8 springs, they are soft, most supplier's have stiffer springs, I like Global West.

Mark

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
So I replaced the inline 6 with a small block. I am currently working on the front brakes and suspension. Since I have the coil springs out, do I go ahead and replace them with new small block springs since the old ones were for the inline 6? I am also doing a 2" spindle drop with my brake setup. Will the new springs counter act with my spindle drop??? Thanks
Scott, are the new "V8" springs a progressive spring? I would try the new set up with the original springs (you can always change it to the "V8" springs later), since the "V8" springs can be a bit on the stiff side. That was miy experience at least when I first converted my car from the L6 to a V8 - I ended up re-installing the original springs because the ride was too harsh (and the front of the car sat up too high) with the "V8" springs.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
I had same issue

Get the Moog Springs, work perfect, and meant for a SBC, make sure you get the one regarding whether you have AC or not

Steve

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
You may want to look into some aftermarket lowering shocks too.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may want to look into some aftermarket lowering shocks too.
I shouldnt have to change to a different shock if I have a stock spring and a lowered spindle. The spindle change doesnt effect the shock size/distance

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scott, are the new "V8" springs a progressive spring? I would try the new set up with the original springs (you can always change it to the "V8" springs later), since the "V8" springs can be a bit on the stiff side. That was miy experience at least when I first converted my car from the L6 to a V8 - I ended up re-installing the original springs because the ride was too harsh (and the front of the car sat up too high) with the "V8" springs.
I bought a set of stock V8 springs. They are on their way as we speak. Im gonna keep the I6 springs just in case the car sits too high in the front with the new setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts