Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have finally reached the point of getting my nova started up for the first time... and I blew out something. The engine was cranking over fine, poping and wanting to start... and then the starter just quit...
I replaced the ignition switch in the column with a known good unit. No luck. (the temp idiot light in the instrument cluster lights up when I turn the key to crank), I checked the starter both at the auto parts store and it does turn over the engine when i jump the two terminals at the solenoid. Oh, and I dont see any blown out fuses, not that that should make a difference.
Any suggestions for further troubleshooting?

So again, the engine was turning over, but now the starter does nothing with the key turned but does engage with the shorting of the terminals...
Please Help
Robert

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
neutral safty switch

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Trace the wires from the starter back to the firewall - usually two wires, heavy gauge and red. Sometimes there is a fusible link in this run. Make sure the wires aren't melted and the fusible link is intact. Next, go under the dash to the neutral safety switch behind the column. There should be two heavy gauge purple wires on the switch. Push the spades together and try to test fire. Also, make sure the column shifter is pushed all the way up into park and isn't hanging down in reverse. I've had that happen after I removed the column shifter and went to a floor shifter. After that, time to look at the ignition switch and wiring....

Kev

·
Registered
153 Posts
Was this initially a column shifted auto car and now has a floor mounted shifter?

My 69 was initially an auto column car but someone changed it to stick at some time in the past. During one of our motor changes the wife and I decided to do a little sprucing up in the engine compartment. She noticed some bailing wire attached to the steering column where the old column linkage used to attach, and asked if she could remove it, OF COURSE I SAID YES:eek::eek:.

Needless to say it only took one test drive after everything was back together for that linkage to rotate slightly and OMG the car won't even turn over now....hmmmm.

Just a thought.

James

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it works now...

lets see, the neutral safety switch was not even hooked up?!!!
I have no idea how it was cranking earlier
On the other hand, when I jumped the two wires, (heavy gauge purple and what ever else) The car would jerk the starter and then stop with the key turned but nothing more. :confused:

Figuring I will solve the problem later, I fired up the engine with a bump switch from harbor freight.
Now everything is fine and dandy meaning the key works like it should!!:D
Still dont know if i solved the problem, but that bump switch is staying in the glove box.:rolleyes:
And yes the car was once column shifted but the correctly installed (ie hoseclamp) sun tach on the seam of the column takes care of any movement...
thanks all for the help!
Robert out!:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts