Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I really need some help with this one. It's my 72 Nova with a new 383 Stroker engine install. I installed a new MSD Pro-Billet Ready-To-Run Distributors 8360 and blaster 2 coil. The engine builder sent the engine with a HEI distributor but it's too close to my firewall and wont fit, so that's why I changed it.It's got a Holley 750 Street Demon sitting on a Performer RPM intake. Timing is at 33 @ 2500. I added a new Powermaster PowerMAX Starter 9100 also. My issue is the engine will turn over but chugs and sputters and won't fire until I turn off the key. It will fire briefly at that point and sometimes I can get it to run and it runs smoothly and was able to set timing and adjust carb for a smooth idle. But I can't get it to fire up as soon as i turn the key on. Or even fire up at all with out a backfire and maybe a spark as I turn off switch. Checked coil and it's getting a spark. Someone suggested maybe replacing the ignition switch in the lower column. Another said maybe it's the distributor not working properly with my alternator and it might need a diode. I'm really stuck here and need some expert advice. Thanks in adavance. Jeffy

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Do you have the yellow wire that originally went from the starter solenoid to the coil+? You may not have power to your ignition when you are cranking the car. Look at the top left of this diagram.

·
Registered
147 Posts
also, check whether that msd setup is supposed to get 12v power. The original coil power wire is a resistor wire that only gives 5-7v and Lower when cranking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was it Mike. I got it running last night when I added the wire from te "r" post to + on the coil. Fired right up. However, when I took for it's first test drive today around the block I tried to accelerate and the carb just sputtered and stalled. So now I have a new problem. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Brand new Holley Street Demon 750, It came with my 383 engine. It was a complete Turn Key with a Dyno and break in. I was just looking on the literature that came with the Holley and it said to check in this order, vacuum leak, timing, accelerator pump. It's just weird because it's all brand new. Although I did have to change out the HEI to an MSD Pro billet distributor and blaster 2 coil due to firewall space issues. Only thing i can think of now is to recheck timing, eliminate vacuum advance and re tune carb. Vacuum was just going to brake booster and timing advance with new hoses.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, figured it out. Checked the vacuum with gauge and advanced timing and readjusted carb and I am good to go now. No more stall and it sounds and runs great. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
9,964 Posts
Only thing i can think of now is to recheck timing, eliminate vacuum advance and re tune carb. Vacuum was just going to brake booster and timing advance with new hoses.
I would definitely keep the vacuum advance and hook it to full manifold vacuum. Make sure it's fully actuated at your idle rpm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems to be good now when the engine is warmed to operating temperature. It took a little bit to get this Holley Street Demon 750 tuned to handle my engine without stalling. Several calls to Holley Tech support and they said to change the accelerator pump position to #1 hole to deliver more fuel and raise the fast idle speed on the electric choke to idle between 1500-1800 rpm's. I guess I will find out if the choke adjustment helps tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO I go out this morning and try to drive my car to work after driving it yesterday and it wont start. Rained all night and was colder this morning and car was outside. Engine cranking but nothing else. Didn't have time to fool with it this morning but when I get home I am going to check the starter wires to the coil and see if they didn't come loose. If that is good and I have spark at coil I guess Im thinking I should squirt some gas into carb and see if it fires. Put a new fuel pump on last week but it was a cheapo from the auto parts store. Any other thoughts on what to look for? This is getting frustrating already.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
One full pump should set the choke and high idle so it starts.

I don't run a choke so I always pump mine twice in descent weather. Real cold weather I pump it 4 times before starting and it fires right up, but of course had to hold an idle for a little bit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, e-clip fell off my accelerator pump arm and the arm came disconnected so I was pumping my gas pedal but no gas was shooting into bowl. At least it was a simple fix!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts