Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed out a knock sensor on a friends 5.3 Silverado today. He waited till yesterday(his birthday)to get tested and failed for MIL on. He then erased the codes and retested. He still failed because the system needs to re-adjust certain parameters to be test "ready". Long story short, he had to get a trip permit because there are no more conditional passes. Moral of the story, don't wait till the last miute to test, because you might be plenty pissed.
No Pass=No Sticker Renewal. Lots of people are getting caught off guard.:eek::mad::yes:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Your friend must of been mis informed. I do the test and repairs here in ontario. The new testing is a pain but still there is a repair cost limit as long as its performed at a drive clean facility. The readiness monitors are the biggest issue right now and getting a completed drive cycle done.

Charley

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
What's the deal with clearing the codes now, I just bought a beater with the check engine light on, I can't drive it because it not safetied or E-tested yet and the codes will need to be cleared after repairs. I was informed it most have X amount of km's to be retested, is this correct?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Depending on the year you can have certain number of not ready monitors. Clearing the codes or having a dead battery just makes things worse cause it clears all readiness monitors. You need to perform a drive cycle if any repairs are made or you boosted your car. If you do any repairs drive clean recommends to leave the light on and drive the car. If it was the right repair and your car completes a drive cycle the light will go out and it can be tested. I have a 50$ hand held scanner that tells you readiness monitors have been run. It's quick and easy for certain repairs or for pre test check.

Charley

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
A completed drive cycle is general 20 minutes. But we did five road tests on one car to get it. There is a procedure that drive clean provides. But it doesn't always work.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
It's a 98, which I believe is OBD I still, hopefully it's nothing major, I got the car fairly cheap so I figured it was worth the risk.:yes:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I would have it tested first. Go from there. It could pass or atleast you will know what your gonna need to do. Plus older you can have an extra not ready monitor. If it was pre 96 it still a two speed idle. And Evap is like the last one to run a monitor and most difficult to get to run.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You need 2 drive cycles to set the monitors. If you drive 5 miles at 55 mph without hitting the brakes and smooth acceleration. Stop car, shut off engine, open and close the door with key out of ignition wait 3 minutes and repeat drive cycle. This should set all of the monitors as long as you have no other problems. We have had these emission testing standards since OBD II here in the states.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Hopefully I can repair it cheap enough.:)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
450$.but has to been done an accredited facility.
Since you fixed your buddies truck I would google how to perform a drive cycle for that model. The generic way has been an issue for us.

Charley

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
You need 2 drive cycles to set the monitors. If you drive 5 miles at 55 mph without hitting the brakes and smooth acceleration. Stop car, shut off engine, open and close the door with key out of ignition wait 3 minutes and repeat drive cycle. This should set all of the monitors as long as you have no other problems. We have had these emission testing standards since OBD II here in the states.
Hope this helps.
Before I took the Sunfire in for the e test,I had to replace the muffler(13 years w/orig).At this time the check engine light was on.When the muffler was replaced I went to the gas station,filled up,drove as stated by charley 7 & chevy2much(30 min) parked the car and at some time during this reliability run,the light went off:D And had it tested the next day.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Depending on the year you can have certain number of not ready monitors. If you do any repairs drive clean recommends to leave the light on and drive the car. If it was the right repair and your car completes a drive cycle the light will go out and it can be tested.

Charley

This also,thanks charley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts