Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new door latch for my 72 nova for the drivers side. It works great when its not in the door. When i install it and push the door "button" it won't trip the latch. Same thing with the inside door handle. I have taken this thing off over 10 times.
The pin on the door handle pushes against the "flap" in all the way...but nothing happens. I have measured, adjusted, and tried everything i can think of so far.
The latch looks identical to the old one.
When its in the door, i can lock and un-lock it. It does seem to un-lock all the way. The only thing i can think of is the lock arm or metal part is hitting the door...?
My car is 40 miles away at my sons and i cant get back there untill friday to check if the lock is hitting. But of course thats just another 'what if'.
Has anyone have this happen to them or have any ideas im not thinking of?

·
Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
560 Posts
The only problem I have had with aftermarket door handle/latch is the pin/plunger on new handle button wasn't long enough to fully push the latch lever (striker, paddle, whatever it's called) to fully release. I bent the latch lever outboard toward the door skin so the handle button plunger could fully depress it and no more problems. I've not had any problems releasing the latch from the inside handle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you CEW.
The plunger is pushing it all the way in.

But here is an update...
The only new latch assembly i could find that looked like it matched up with my 72 nova was for a 69-70 nova. They look identical. However ...the flap looked just a little to long where it might be hitting some sheet metal in the door. So i cut about 3/8 off to match the original. But it still didnt work. So, with a mirror i notice that right below the flap there is a part on the latch that moves when the flap moves and it was hitting the sheet metal in the door just barely enough where it wouldnt trip the latch. I grinded it down until it didnt touch and it now works.
Thanks again for you reply!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts