Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 406 with a balanced assembly (external) If I wanted to put a new counter weighted Damper on it would It not be Balanced anymore?
This Maybe a stupid question to some of you but Ive never delt with an externally balanced engine this deeply before.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
if you have an external balanced motor then you buy a damper thats externaly balanced. where i live the only time you say i have a balanced rotating assembly is when its internally balanced. an external balanced rotating assembly is not a "balanced" assembly.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
on an internal assy, we'd balance crank first, then flexplate/flywheel and dampner separately... on an external assy, the crank, flexplate/flywheel and dampner are ON the crank ta spin the crank... otherwise it'd vibrate so hard it wouldn't stay on machine...

some say the units don't need balancing (flexplates, flywheels and dampners) that they're zero from factory... mebbe so, i've seen 'em get drilled though... so i know they're out a little... if ya needed a flexplate etc balanced for yer external assy... they'd need the crank and all other components ta spin...

but things change, i haven't been involved since the mid/late '80's... maybe things are different now... i dunno...

edit... when the dampner is swapped, it doesn't get drilled because of weight variations, that would be done on the crank... so you'd still see the dampner etc as Zero, it'd have no drilling... it's all done on the crank...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts