Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New here, been reading the forum for quite a while, just actually joined. From what I have heard, the best way to learn is to ask people who have more experience than you. So here I am.

I have a 74 coupe, I have had it about a year or so. I have not really done much with the car (time and Money). But now I seem to have a little of both.

I would say I pretty much have a long term plan for the car. I want to stay with the SBC, I just think it is really cool how much power you can get out of them. Final engine plan is supercharged 383. Right now as it sits I have forged internals, 4 bolt main, valve relief pistons, hydraulic cam 280 duration, 485 lift. Double hump 186 heads, ported, stainless valves, hardened seats.

I know I need better flowing heads, different cam, high flow fuel pump with bypass boost regulator. I talked to Vortech about a supercharger and they told me I need a blow thru carb like a Quick fuel Q 650 B1.

I understand you get what you pay for, but money is of course always an issue. I think I would like to start with new heads, get the car breathing good.
I have been looking at Trick Flow, Dart, or Summit. Aluminum, 195-200 intake, 64 chamber.

Anybody out there running a Vortech Supercharger? Do those heads sound about right? I have seen AFR heads and know they are really good. What is the difference in the heads for such a different price tag? Are they really worth it? Bottom line is if you don’t have the money for them what is next best?

So Heads and Cam, what do you suggest? Appreciate the help.
Thank you,

·
Registered
332 Posts
Put your money into the cylinder heads...Joe Sherman would say the head is where the HP is...everything else just supports it.

Why 64 cc chamber? Do you know your current piston?

If going supercharged...low CR is the norm...have to tailor the chamber size accordingly.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
64 is a number I was given by a guy at work that works on cars. That's partly why I am asking here. My current compression seems pretty low. For what its worth a compression test shows about 155-160 per cylinder.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Like the previous guy stated. If you are going to supercharge, you will want to lower your compression ratio so you can run a larger amount of boost and make more power.

Personally, I like the AFR heads.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The PSI you get from a compression test really won't tell you anything about your compression ratio. You really need to know what pistons you have, if the motor was set up at zero deck height or if the pistons are down in the cylinders .020, etc. You also have to know the thickness of your head gasket.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
First off welcome to Steves as you see already lots of good info around. You are going about you're build all wrong!! You need to start off with a HP goal then figure out if you're trans,rear end,brakes etc etc are going to support the power levels you seek,then upgrade them first. What are you're plans for the car,drag race,hot street car,road race what's the plan? Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just didn't put all that info in yet.

Transmission was built locally is supposed to handle up to 650HP.
8.5" rear, posi
4 wheel power disc brakes

I am wanting a weekend car to run a little adrenaline through the veins. It's not a driver, never will be. It will see the track a few times a year, Infineon is only about 30 minutes away. Mostly a backroad straightaway funcar.

I am wanting about 500+ hp.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
You stated you're final build will be a 383,is the motor 350 now? What rear gear ratio do you have? Are you running subframe connectors and traction bars? Rick

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes it is a 350 now
it does have weld in connectors and I have a set of caltracs, they are not installed yet. So far I have not needed them.
I have 373 gears, the tech at vortech said that would be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I read through the threads wanting to learn more and be able to make better-informed decisions I keep hearing that AFR heads are better and worth the price. What is the difference between them and a trick flow or an edelbrock? If all things are equal, combustion chamber, runners, valve size, etc... what is the difference? Is it in the casting? Or maybe the quality of grinds? I would like to know.

This is the kind of thing I would like to learn on this forum, not necessarily just "buy xyz because it is a better product". There are so many people here with a lot of technical knowledge that could be passed on to others. This is the kind of information that will help us become more informed engine builders who can make good choices on our own.

I appreciate all the info I have gotten here, just for me some of the whys get lost somewhere sometimes.

thanks

·
Registered
332 Posts
Forums are full of opinions.

Look at flow numbers...the rest is typically equal-possible chamber technology, but I've not seen that really discussed on HP difference.

The highest flow for the smallest port (according to your use, cubic inch, HP goal) is the best-generally speaking. Flow numbers can be different depending on use of a 'radius', pressures, etc so not always apples to apples-but probably the best standard to compare.

AFR is about the most expensive so doesn't fit everyone's budget.

Best to have the final plan laid out and then build toward that. In my case, but final plan is taking ~15 years so I end up spending more money for smaller steps (ie buying two sets of AFR heads as my HP plan increased).

John Lingenfelter has said you can have a small cammed, great cylinder head engine and it will run great or...a big cammed, poor flowing cylinder head motor and it will be a stone.

Recommend you look at some hard copy books an some cylinder head tests that have been done.

When I switched from cast iron '041' heads with 2.02's to a set of AFR 210's...it was one of the biggest improvements on my Nova.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Spend the money on the best heads, that is where the power is made, and if you buy good ones now, they will last you for whatever mods you do in the future. On a 350, AFR 190 CC Vortec would be my choice, don't let the port size fool you. http://www.airflowresearch.com/index.php?cPath=24_117

For a cam, a hydraulic roller from Clay Smith would be my #1 choice. Matched to the heads.

http://www.claysmithcams.com/sbc-35...ead-max-power-6000-6200-rpm-peak-torque-3800/

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/search.html?query=clay+smith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.