Chevy Nova Forum banner

new convertor and tranny results!!

3K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  levisnteeshirt 
#1 ·
I was going 1.86 60 ft and 7.36 @ 96 in the 1/8th to a 1.61 and a 7.29@95.
convertor is a Transmission specialties 42-4500 that actually flashes to 4800 and I was just going off idle at around 1500 and flashing the convertor. the old one was a 32-3500 would only stall to 2200 and flash to 3000 the new one can foot brake to 3200 and flash to 4000 if I foot brake.

I also changed the caltracs from 2 flats to 4 flats with 10lbs because I was spinning about 20ft out and I am told that now i am over wrinkling the tires???

I need more timing though because it felt very lazy up top or I need more carb..I am at 30 degrees @ 3000 and I am running a 850 that has been worked to around a 925.

I am happy with the results but I am looking for 7.0@100 and a 1.5x 60ft....

#6 ·
snook is outside of bryan, college station were Texas A&M college is. I need to bump the timing but I didn't have a light and I didn't know anyone there that I could ask..I was trying to setup the suspension on that day..

As far as tire pressure I went up to 11lbs and spun my *** off....I am thinking about going 1 to 2 more flats on the caltracs so that I can run a little more pressure..Also I have my ranchos at 2 out of 9, front moroso trick springs and 3 way shocks on 90/10..Was told I might need limiters on the front but I am not lifting the tires off the ground so I don't know..

1.55 60ft would be great!!!

#7 ·
I am told that now i am over wrinkling the tires???
I would agree that your pressure is too low--how old are the tires? Maybe they are just done! What size tire? What size wheel? How much pinion angle?
That's a little slow for a big block with gears and tires. Bump it up to 36° or so, go 8 flats (max) with about 4° pinion angle and see what happens.
Has anybody watched you make a pass? Is it spinning the tires? Even with a low powered 350 that did 1.6 60 foots, mine was lifting the front tires.
A few people I know have recently switched to the stiff sidewall tires and gone faster.

#8 ·
the tires are et street mickeys that are 28x12.5 on a 10" rim. the tires have less than 8 passes on them so almost new. I have 4degrees of pinion angle.

Yes people have watched me and they said It is not spinning at all anymore, it is wrinkling the tire alot that is all.

feels lazy on top that is why I was thinking timing..

I want to try more flats on the caltracs so i can raise the tire pressure for sure..

#9 ·
i'd put ,,

i think i'd put a bigger cam in it ,, i've saw 396's with cams similar to that, but i also wonder if more timing wouldn't help it ,, what kind of fuel pump and ignition do you use ?? What power valve ya got in there too ?? I'd make sure its not too small in case it starts pulling a vacume at high loads like on top and shutting the power valve off with a motor that big.

#10 ·
I agree, too little tire pressure. I would recommend 14-16 psi, as well as more timing. What hole do you have the transfer link in (top or bottom)?

I run mine in the bottom hole to soften the hit a bit, but I still have excellent 60's. Might try that as well.

#12 ·
I am in the top hole..The bottom hole spun past the 60ft mark and broke loose in 2nd, so it didn't work at all for me..I will try more pressure and more flats..

As far as the cam I am keeping the car fairly streetable not all out track car so I went that as a all around cam.

I am running a crane hi6s box, black 140gph pump, 1/2 line, 3.5pv in front and block off plate in the back. I did find out that some of my loss of power was do to a loose negative battery cable and the vibrations were causing the ignition box and fuel pump to not get full juice and cut in and out..I still need to add more timing though...

my shocks up front are set at 90/10 and the other options are 80/20 and 70/30 with no limiter at all..

#18 ·
i think i'd do a good plug check next time before ya head down the return road if it wuz me.
x2 on checking the plug :yes: It might be beneficial to put in a new plug right before you run and take it out right when you pull off the track. This should tell you if the carb jetting is right. Also if you are concerned about the timing, add a couple of degrees and make a run and just keep adding until the ET/mph drops off--then you should have an idea as to where the motor will be the happiest. I've learned that everyone has their own way/ideas for tuning--this is just my opinion based on my experiences. :)

#14 ·
How much does the car weigh? Have you scaled it to know the weight percentage? Also, your rear shocks could be extending out too quickly or extending out too far unloading the suspension. I have run 12 to 14 psi in that size tire with a 3200lb car. Anything lower and I would have the same problem with the tire wadding up and breaking loose plus it would walk on the top end. If you have a video of it, you really should analyze the suspension movement and the point of where the tires are breaking loose.

#16 ·
the car is gutted but I was told from the guy I bought it from it use to way 3350 with him in it and a full interior. I didn't get a video this time wish I would have so I can answer the shock question. except that they are rancho shocks set on 2.

#19 ·
well thanks guys!!I will take everyones advice and pick some and try them out and see what happens and just keeo notes of everything I change so I can always go back to a common point.
thanks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.