Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished buttoning up installing new stock replacement coil springs, stamped lower control arms from OER and Global West tubular uppers.

To even get the ball joints to seat, I had to remove the bump stop from the upper control arms. I thought it would ease up when I get it all down on the ground but no dice. Not enough room to get them back in there.

I also noticed my springs seem the be arched toward the outside. Like they arent seated all the way, but the are. Maybe just one more coil needs to make its way up into the frame?

I dont have the fenders, hood, core support or bumper on. I tried bouncing it to seat the springs. But there's only so much my 170# butt can move it.

Is this common? Will the added weight and some road time help everything settle?

I did take special care to clock the springs correctly.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What you're experiencing is normal, there is no way that spring in going to compress with just your 170 lb weight on there....the normal weight carried on the front wheels is somewhere in the vicinity of 1900+ lbs....roughly everything from the point about 2/3 of the way back on the door is carried on the front tires

The spring will bow outward somewhat because of the extreme angle on the spring seat/lower A-arm at full up travel...it will assume a straighter shape when the rest of the weight is on the front end.and the lowwr A-arm is closer to level with the ground.

I'm actually surprised you even got the upper ball joint connected without either engine weight in the chassis or a screw and swinging arms inside the coil style spring compressor.

The ride height will be tall for the first 6 months or so, they need road time to settle.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Eric. I did have engine and transmission in. So that helped.
Good to know everything will settle, cuz right now it is STIIIFFFF

I used a spring compressor from the parts rental. The one that goes inside the spring.
First time I tightened both ball joints I found the coils weren't far enough apart to get the hook end of the compressor out and the shock hole wasn't nearly big enough to drop out the bottom.
Had to play a seriously dangerous game of Jack under the control arm and loosen the compressor and let the jack down like you do when you remove the springs. But go just far enough to open the coils and get that darn compressor out of there. Then Jack it back up to compress until the car moves.

Then I started with the upper joint, just threading the nut half way gave enough slack to get the lower nut started. Then Mr Impact became my best friend.

I dont recommend this method. Coil springs scare the crap outa me.
Not that they might kill me. But that they won't and it'll just really really hurt for a long long time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I agree with Eric. You have nowhere near total weight on that front end to think about making any changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts