Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of buying a new carb for my 67 194 automatic. It has the Rochester BV now. It's not the original carb, it came with a rebuild and is the part number is for a manual trans while mine is an auto. It runs good going down the road but I've never been able to get the idle perfect. It randomly stumbles sometimes when sitting at a light and I have to run the idle speed higher than original spec or it stalls randomly. I would say it is 90% good and it's certainly driveable. There are stains down the side like it leaks some, so the body is probably warped. I just did a full tune up, idle vacuum is 19 and I tightened all the manifold bolts and sprayed around the manifold while it was running to check for leaks.

I drive the car every day, all I care about is reliabliity. I might drive from Florida to Maine next month and don't want any trouble on the road. I don't need more power. I want to keep the original air cleaner and intake manifold and everything stock appearing. No 2 or 4 barrels. I want new, not rebuilt. I don't want to deal with crappy rebuilds on worn out cores. I would prefer to keep the automatic choke. If I could find a new NOS, not rebuilt BV I would do that, but the only ones available new seem to be for pickups with different linkage and manual choke.

On ebay I saw a new NOS Holley 1920 economaster and a new NOS Carter YF. Both of those were sold back in the day as direct bolt on replacements for the problematic BV. I also looked at the Daytona universal 1 barrel replacement carb.

Does anyone have a recomendation or experience with any of these?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I have three stock ones still sitting on complete motors but neither one has been run in yrs. Two of these are 250 motors and one is on a 194 which was pulled about 6-8 mos. ago and ran smooth I don't recall any leaks from any of them.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
6,122 Posts

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Reactions: AllyMcReal

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts
I agree that they can be problematic with warpage and leakage as a result. But when they're on and put together properly from a good core, they work great. Jim's stroll though the archives brought up a post with a ton of options, whether you want to do the work on the carb yourself or just get a ready to bolt on new or rebuilt unit. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Hey TR67ChevyII . . . . I also have this :

Rochester B BC BV Carburetor Repair Kit K1141 (carburetor-parts.com)

AND = = it shows a "new B V carb replacement carb" ( I think ) ....................... you can not have too much info .

I have searched for years . . . . . and , I had a really GOOD 1bbl - Mono-jet carb (no leaks & 15 to 17 mpg) .
But , then bought my New Holley 8007 - 390 - 4bbl carb . That WAS the BEST up-grade that I have done to
my 250ci - L 6 engine .

kinda been - there .

jim

note -
you have too 'scroll down' .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want new. I don't want to rebuild the one I have now or get another rebuild. I really just want a bolt on with no modification, tune and go solution. I also see new monojets are available. Most are electric choke, which is actually ok with me. Running one new wire is no problem. I have to be sure where the linkage connects is the same.

Will my original 67 air filter fit on the monojet?

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Will my original 67 air filter fit on the monojet?
That would be - - - - YES , it will fit . (plus, I have one that fits - - if your's did not .
Then , I posted some of the info . . . . because I have already looked around . . . and , had it 'saved anyway' .
I agree about th' "rebuild carb thing" . . . (just good general info) .

The last 'carb post that I listed' - - DID have a Complete NEW (looking at his picture) 1bbl -
- - B V type carb , for sale .

here :
Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Auto part Machine

but , looks to be a manual choke set - up - - ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ .

so , here's my 'idea' ................. if you want a good type 1bbl carb ................... I'd suggest using a
250 Monto-jet type carb .
WHY ................ those (any -
almost ) - - B V type carbs were really a bad type carb , too start with .
The Mono-jet series were better & improved carb - all around . . . . plus , probably not that much bigger - -
- - (like " cfm wise " ) .
This is - just my 2cents . . . . . .

Here's my 2nd thought . . . . . you can buy almost anything . . . . . . and either get a 'Good product' . .
or - - a bad product . . . . (it's just a gamble , sometimes ) .

anyway - - - I hope I've helped .

later , jim

Reactions: AllyMcReal

·
Super Moderator
5,157 Posts
Jim, what kind of mileage are you getting with the 390cfm Holley? Are they vacuum secondaries or mechanical? And did you have to do any mods to the carb itself or rejetting to make it work well?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be - - - - YES , it will fit . (plus, I have one that fits - - if your's did not .
Then , I posted some of the info . . . . because I have already looked around . . . and , had it 'saved anyway' .
I agree about th' "rebuild carb thing" . . . (just good general info) .

The last 'carb post that I listed' - - DID have a Complete NEW (looking at his picture) 1bbl -
- - B V type carb , for sale .

here :
View attachment 436973

but , looks to be a manual choke set - up - - ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ .

so , here's my 'idea' ................. if you want a good type 1bbl carb ................... I'd suggest using a
250 Monto-jet type carb .
WHY ................ those (any -
almost ) - - B V type carbs were really a bad type carb , too start with .
The Mono-jet series were better & improved carb - all around . . . . plus , probably not that much bigger - -
- - (like " cfm wise " ) .
This is - just my 2cents . . . . . .

Here's my 2nd thought . . . . . you can buy almost anything . . . . . . and either get a 'Good product' . .
or - - a bad product . . . . (it's just a gamble , sometimes ) .

anyway - - - I hope I've helped .

later , jim

That looks like it's a zenith? It's not a BV. I'm leaning towards a new monojet with electric choke. It's just 1 extra wire to run, everything else should fit with no modification and it would look original to the casual observer.

A brand new monojet is $85 on Amazon or Ebay. I'm sure it's chinese made, but worth a try at that price with free returns.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Jim, what kind of mileage are you getting with the 390cfm Holley?
Are they vacuum secondaries or mechanical?

And did you have to do any mods to the carb itself or rejetting to make it work well?
Hi Frank . . . . how's everything in SoCal . . . .

Well , since you asked - - I have only checked my mpg (twice) . Back in Nov 10 , 2018 .
1st time was driving to our Phoenix BBQ ; shortly after the install . Round trip = 21.5 to 22.0 mpg .
Phx - - is going down hill , some - - Phoenix Deer Valley Airport is @ 1,478 '
Chino Valley (4,770 ' ) / Prescott airport is - 5,045 ' .

Holley (part # 8007 ) - 390cfm ; 4bbl ; 4160 type ; with Auto choke , & vacuum secondaries .
Bought New ( Summit - March 10, 2012 ) .
Installed : . . Sept. 9 , 2016 . . . . . straight outa th' box .
Mounted - - facing 'front too back ' ; using Larry's carb base plate ( Twisted6) ; also using the 3rd gen (stock)
throttle cable .
Making for a "Very Easy Throttle Hook - up" .

I did my install - - - - - -
straight outa th' Box - - - - - - "the only thing" , that I did do = was removed the
carb too 'set / adjust' my auto choke . why - - because with my carb facing forward - - I could not get
too the 'choke screws' .
that's it = only have had it off 'once (adjust the choke & re-install) . I may have turned the idle screw down .......
but, not much . (at that time) .

Then , when installing my ' DF-17 ' PCV , I think I readjusted my idle .

. . . .

. . . . . . . .

Also , I have said , before : 1st thing is = "installing my Holley 390 carb - - - - is , by far , the best up-grade - -
that I have done to my Nova" .

........................... : 2nd thing is = "installing my T 5 O D transmission" .

Thanks , for looking . .

jim

Reactions: Brooksey

·
Registered
6,122 Posts

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
. . . . TR67ChevyII . . . .

sorry - - not trying too 'High - jack u'r post' .

And , I agree - - that buying a new Monto-jet 1bbl carb - - may make your 194 run much smoother . . . (y) .

Then , for that price , I think u'r good to go .
Would you give us an 'up-date' . . . . . when you do your change (an install & driving post) info .

Thanks , jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I ordered the new monojet from amazon. It will be here monday. $94 total and free returns if it doesn't work out. Hopefully it can idle smooth at 500-600 rpm. That's all I want out of it. Better MPG would be a plus, but doesn't really matter. It gets low teens or so now. Usually we have 2 adults, 2 kids and a lot of junk in the car with the A/C on city driving, so I don't expect good mileage.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Hey . . a 194 ci = with A/C . . . .
So , would you have any under hood pictures of that . My 69 - 250ci - L 6 motor also has factory A/C (not
'add-on-A/C ' = still complete (but , needs the newer type a/c hose up-grade) .
Now days . . you can see alot of the Chevy six motors using a/c - just not many - still using GM factory stuff .

also , can I ask & see a picture of your 'water pump & fan blade' set-up .

Thank you . . . still interested & learning - this L 6 A/C systems .

OK - Mono-jet carb . . I think you could be much happier & smoother , using this type 1bbl carb .
Plus , should be a rather easy bolt-on . Let us know , with a follow-up post . (then , under a $ 100 - - ) :cool: .

jim

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
............. bump to the top ..................

So , TR67ChevyII ; any info about your "new Mono-jet carb install" .

I sure Hope everything is Good around u'r Place . . .

I was just 're-reading this post ; and checking how u'r carb install was working .
Follow - up info / & pictures would be Great .

Thanks , jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've been traveling for the last week, not much time to get online.

It's on and works. It's mostly good so far. Very minimal modifications to fit. Ran a wire to the electric choke. Minor rerouting of fuel and vaccum lines. I had to drill a hole in the throttle linkage and put a cotter pin in, the original clip didn't fit. Needed a small spacer under the air filter.

It runs better. No more fuel smell in fhe garage from leakage. Idle is a lot better but not perfect. The slight ocassional skip at idle is mostly gone. Idle vacuum is up from 19 to 21. I still can't get it to idle at the factory spec of 500 in gear. It's 700 now. I havn't got the fast idle adjusted right yet. Not really a priority in Florida.

I will take some pictures soon, I have to work on the AC tomorrow, it sprung a leak at one of the schreader valves and lost all the freon, oil was dripping out the dust cap.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Thank you , for the up-date . I'm glad things are working better . Any & All info for u'r up - grading .........
could be great , for those many other members . . . going down this path .

Be safe out there . :geek: .

jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is what the 67 6cyl factory AC setup looks like. I took a picture while I was charging it back up. Hopefully the leak is fixed. It lost 3 lbs of R12 at 40 bucks a can. I gave up and charged it with R134a this time at 8 bucks a can. It's still blowing 30 degrees at the vent with R134a in it.

Motor vehicle Light Automotive fuel system Auto part Gas

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Hey TR67ChevyII .................. Thank you for those "Factory A/C pictures" ................. very cool ; and ,
you never see a 194 - L 6 with Factory A/C installed .
My 69 - 250ci (155 hp) - also has the "Factory A/C installed" ......................
nowdays - - you can see cars with a/c - - but, mostly with 'after-market ; add-on a/c' .

I'm needing too up-date my a/c hoses too the newer 'barrier type a/c hose' (I still have / had the old
R-12 type hoses) . I also want too change my 'condenser = too a Parallel - Flow type
condenser' / R 134 .
I'm still using the GM - A6 compresser = but may sawp out for a "Sanden 508" type .

Plus , ALOT of fun = when dealing with those old "Point & cond's" ...................... having the
' Big - Dog - A6 compressor' hanging right over the distributor . (I went too the 'Pertronix HEI upgrade' ) .

1. - - 69 Nova Factory A/C 'set=up' ; for the L-22 , 250ci L 6 engine . With the VO 1 , H / D cooling .

2. - - Heavy Duty Cooling package includes : 7 blade Fan ( V-8 # 3947772) ; with Fan Clutch ; with a
V-8 , 3 row (brass) Radiator .

3. - - and ................. Chevy L 6 - A/C only (shorter) water pump , L 22 / 250ci motors .

4. - - and , Showing the 'extra step' , for the fan clutch alignment (factory a/c only) .

sorry ........... not trying too 'high-jack' your post ................................. just some good ...................
..................... " weird things " . . . we deal with .

jim

1 - 20 of 24 Posts