Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions or experiences before getting a new carb. I have talked to a few carb builders and they state I need to go to a dominator carb with 1050 to 1150 cfm. My issue is that I would need to get a new intake manifold and the one I have have has been port matched to my heads and some flow work done to it. I am seeing if it is worth the cost to redo it all for et changes or would I be better off just getting a larger 4150 style.
Thanks
My combo
496 bbc
10.25-1 cp
ported brodix heads
cam- comp solid roller .772 and .755 at 280 duration
Victor Jr. manifold
Quick fuel vac. 850
Best et at 4000ft of elevation
10.01 135mph with 1.38 60ft.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I am crossing the lights at 7000 rpm if that helps, have not run it at sea level yet.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
X2 on Pro Systems carbs! Custom built to your engine's specs (with spec sheet) at about the same cost as "stock out of the box" carbs. Just bolt on and go! REALLY! The only adjustment I and others had to do was the idle.

Here's my 830 carb......

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
X3 on giving Patrick a call at Pro Systems. He built my 950 and it was literally drop on and go. I adjusted the idle settings and mixture screws and that was it.
Once I started monitoring it with my dual wide band setup I figured I would have work to do but it was close enough for me. :yes:
Patrick always returns my calls and helps we out with questions, that is priceless.
Tom

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is good info I was leaning to pro systems, but even when I first talked to them they were talking about at least 1050 cfm and I had heard it is very hard to get those numbers out of a 4150. I am thinking I will see an increase in rpms when I go to sea level, most of the time I have run the DA was 6400 to 6800ft.:eek:

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Damn! :eek:

You run up in the nose-bleed section. :yes: :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I will add another vote for Pro Systems. We have also had very good luck with AED.

I'm a little surprised I have not seen mention of a 4500 to 4150 adapter plate. I have seen a lot of guys on speedtalk.com that really like to run a 4150 intake with an adaptor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have heard mixed things about a spacer, one carb builder said that it defeats the purpose but he also isn't the one shelling out money for a new manifold either with more money ut into the port work. I am very happy with how well the 850 vac. carb did but I know I was pushing it. If I am not going to see a decent change not sure if it is worth it.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Everyone has opinions so I'll throw mine out there. I think you need a 4500 carb because you hit a wall with the 4150 at around 460 cubes. My 468 motor weas faster and more consistant with a modified 850 DP than it was with a 1050 DOM that was also modifed by a professional carb guy. Same guy did both carbs and still does all my carb work. With that said my 565 has a 1050 DOM and while on the dyno we tried 3 bigger pro built carbs frpm different carb guys and it didn't change the torque or HP by 2 numbers so bigger is'nt always better. The other key was bigger didn't hurt it either. Calling a carb guy and asking about carbs is like going to a car dealer and asking if the new model is better than what you have now, they'll always say yes it is. They make a living selling stuff. My carb guy and long time friend spares me that sales chat. He also goes to the track with me and has allowed me to try different carbs to see what they do. just saying

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
A guy named Bob Szabo up in Tryon NC. He and his wife own the small shop called Fuel Curve Engineering. Been doing carbs a long time. Does alot of dirt and round track carbs. No better or worse than any of the rest who do carbs at a professional level. I guess my thoughts are you shouldn't just rely on what a guy who sells carbs to feed his family tells you. They make money selling you something. Borrow a carb from a buddy and give it a try. This is sportsman drag racing and may not require a Dale Cubic carb or some special high dollar stuff. You can buy alot of stuff for what a professional built carb is going to cost. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sent the engine in for its winter up dates for a new crankshaft and new pistons going to 13-1, should run even better with that cam. Then I will have to figure out what I want to do with the carbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts